Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

The Elvin Jones Trio late 60's

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX4wDCclGx4[/ame]

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

How frustrating watching his bass drum sliding.

Blonkins.

Posted on 16 years ago

I have never really studied his playing style... So without stepping on any Elvin toes..

Can someone explain his style of playing to me?

What is it about his playing that made him the player he was?

Was it his energy and drive?

Technically on the solo part, how would you describe his soloing?

Was he a better time/groove or solo player?

What would be a good example of his best playing?

Thanks

David

Posted on 16 years ago

http://www.chipstern.com/chip_elvinjones.htm

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=14748

These links (especially the first one) will most likely be helpful. Elvin's playing is truly awe-inspiring.

Posted on 16 years ago

Yeah, the bass drum thing is a drag...but kinda funny. I mean...WHY NOT PUT THE KIT ON A RUG FOR GOD'S SAKE? :)

That aside, I think the cool thing about Elvin Jones was that he was an originator of that "loose" style...loping triplets with the left hand and just the feel of the time -so unencumbered...non-rigid and that underlying love/hate energy -where everything is in the moment and the players have such trust in each other.

His drum set technique was "rebellious" in comparison to those players who preceded him. Technically, he was sloppy (if you go by the book). His sticks are flailing all over the place...he's hitting the drums too hard...his arms are swinging all over the place..his posture is terrible...etc. But, when he was in his element with the right players, there just wasn't anything else like it. It was a unique flavor in the smorgasbord of music. He messed up a lot of drummers' minds!

That being said, there are all kinds of jazz players whom I enjoy more than Elvin these days. It's just nice to see Elvin when he was in his element. I do find it kind of sad that he never really evolved past that Coltrane legacy thing. He will always be remembered as "Coltrane's drummer" more than anything else that he did before of after (B.C./A.C.) ;).

There are really only a relatively small handful of drummers who are instantly recognizable...Steve Gadd, John Bonham, Billy Higgins to name just three of them....But, I mean, out of 6 billion people on the planet, the number is very small. Because of the originality of the sound and the style of the era in which it first appeared, I would easily include Elvin Jones in that number of instantly recognizable drum set players.Chewie:Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Elvin was actually an R&B/soul/blues drummer before he joined up with Coletrain......surely had an influence on what he did in the jazz world....he was just himself and nobody can fault someone in doing that can we? When you play your own style you surely originate.....those that get it deem you a legend, those that don't, just don't get it. Cool1

Posted on 15 years ago

Many words come to mind when I think of Elvin's style: sound, power, feel, energy, spirituality, sincerity, originality, inimitable.

John Riley has a great Elvin Jones solo transcription in his instructional book "Beyond Pop Drumming" which really solidified, in my mind, the genius of Elvin's soloing. To quote from Riley's book, "Elvin's highly personal phrasing leads many musicians to think that, when soloing, he is playing out of time and that this "Monk's Dream" solo is a freeform solo. As you can see and hear, the solo is definitely in time and on the form; however, the extensive use of deceptive cadences and across the bar phrases really do camouflage the tunes structure."

There's no denying that drumming changed forever after Elvin hit the scene. Some of the rock guys, especially Mitch Mitchell and John Bonham, were even trying to emulate him (at a far less sophisticated level rhythmically).

One of my favorite Elvin Jones recordings is “Bill Frisell With Dave Holland & Elvin Jones". It features his hypnotic style in an atypical situation.

Also, along with Tony Williams, Elvin may be the most responsible for the popularization of 18 inch bass drums. He got an amazing thunderous sound from the 18s.

Thanks,

EP

The legend of...
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here