Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

The Baxter kit is complete! (almost..)

EDIT I'm attaching here some before and after videos. The first link is to before the edges were cut, and with the original stock heads. I really could not stand that Hydraulics on this kit, so i took them off before they got marked up and sold them. I put back on some really old remos. Coated Amb on the 13" rack, and coated Emp on the 16" floor With clear Ambs as resos on both. EQ1 on the kick, and Aquarian Black Regulator with 4" hole on the front.

I'm using a similar setup for recording each time. ZOOM Q3. Hmm actually listening back to the recordings, i quite like the before, with the reallllly thin stock heads. They were thinner than diplomats.

In the second video, i have the drums tuned really low. I may or may not make another video of them real jazzy. I used the 1960's Silvertone wood snare in the second video, as opposed to the 1970's Maxwin Steel snare in the first video. Hmm this jazzy sound of the first video is starting to grow on me...

Right now, i actually have Remo Black Dots on the batter side, with Remo Ebony Ambassadors on the resonant side. I picked these up for 35 bucks for all four heads on craigslist. The Black dots were pretty beat up, but the Ebonys were used as resonant heads, and still seem to have a bit of life in them. I think it's my favorite sound so far. Eventually i wish to get Aquarian Deep Vintage 2 on the top, with Aquarian Texture coated or Classic Clear on the bottoms. I'd like an Aquarian Deep vintage on the kick as well.

[COLOR="Red"]BEFORE[/COLOR]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nbtDdKX3c0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nbtDdKX3c0[/ame]

[COLOR="Blue"]AFTER[/COLOR]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68kEPwrXDXI&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68kEPwrXDXI&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Sorry for the multipost, i didnnt realize i could only post 6 pictures at a time, but i had it all typed out already.

I hope the posts dont display in backwards order!

A month or so back, i purchased a 60s(?) Baxter Percussion Kit. When I brought it home it turned out to really smell, but be in otherwise seemingly good shape. I aired them out in the garage for a few days, and they seemed to lose the stank pretty quickly. They were very dusty and had a few odd stickers stuck on each drum with the number 368 on it. The kit came with the original heads, which were in really good shape! They were thinner than diplomats.

I took off the hoops and heads to have a quick clean, and i saw that there was no bearing edge cut at all. I gave the drums a thorough cleaning, and it was then i realized the drums were in very close to totally mint shape.

I had them set up with the original heads, and i played them for a bit, and after a couple days, i had concluded that i had put more play into the kit than it ever had before me.

Long story short, i decided to get bearing edges cut into the drums. A man in my locale (not really) cut the edges. He runs a custom Drum company called "Woods Drums." and he does super super quality work.

When the drums started out, they were not true, there was a few good 3mm or so gaps that let in tonnes of light when placed on a flat surface. Those were sanded out and a bearing edge was cut. It is not a total roundover, but a 45 on the inside, and a roundish bevel on the outside. The wood of the drum was not the best quality. Curiously, the bass drum seems to be made of a different material than the toms.

Well i should mention, i got the Baxter as a 3 piece, with the 22", 13" and 16." The 16" was missing a leg, and the kick was missing both, so a 3 pack of floor tom legs suited the job perfectly.

I removed the rail mount from the kick drum. When the rack tom was mounted from the rail mount, it was choked to heck. On a snare stand with "Little Booty Shakers" (its a thing) the tom resonates beautifully.

THEN as a mad stroke of luck, a week ago i found this 60's "Silvertone" snare, and it was blue sparkle. I thought it would match my kit maybe. I went to go look at it, it was very dusty, but he also had some old cymbals lying around so i asked if i could buy those. I ended up with a 15" Zilco 50's hi hat bottom, with a 15" hollow logo zildjian, i think its a new beat. I also got A Zildjian & CIE 16" crash. I only know what that is because theres a trace of the logo left.

the ride is a 20" canadian Zildjian thingy, i think from the 60s or 70s?

Please correct me on any of this, i know very little about this kit, other than that i want to keep it forever.

So this is my first foray into "vintage" drum gear, and i know its low grade, but i really like it. really all im missing is a vintage crash, and that would really complete my kit, but for now, this Zildjian & CIE vintage crash will do.

the snare sounds really boxy, the roundover on the bottom edge is a new thing for me.

I put on the hydraulics for fun, didnt really turn out that cool. I'm wishing i went for some aquarian stuff, deep vintage maybe. But I would need to order the oversized hoops and evans fit right on. The level 360 stuff went right over the wrap, although it doesnt actually sit totally flat on the bearing edge, it fits like a remo, since the drum os oversized. it forces the bearing edge to conform to the collar actually.

The aquarians dont even fit on over the wrap, and i didnt want to wait a month to get in aquarian heads that will fit. I would like to replace the reso heads too. i just dont know with what. Right now are some old previously used as batter heads, clear ambassadors as resos.

For the snare i put on heads i had from a yamaha snare i got of craigslist. and I put on some slightly fresher heads onto the yamaha. This Silvertone has an Evans ec2 reverse dot and a snare side 300. The snare side bearing edge is pretty rough.

The kick drum has an Evans EQ1. it has the square logo, it is a very old head, but i found it new tucked in a corner at a music store. front side is an aquarian regulator black.

Posted on 8 years ago

How much more did the drums sing with bearing edges? But we at least have another documented case of the " no bearing edge "

Drums look great by the way.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Very cool kit!

Posted on 8 years ago

Cool story. Love the color of the three Baxter drums. Nice work bringing it back to usefulness.

Posted on 8 years ago

From Dan Boucher

Cool story. Love the color of the three Baxter drums. Nice work bringing it back to usefulness.

Agreed...Cool badge as well!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 8 years ago

That wrap is really cool.

Posted on 8 years ago

Well, i finally got to it, and i made a recording of the kit after the fact of the bearing edge job.

I edited the first post and i included the video for both before and after. Sorry if the first video is a little kick heavy, i like my kick drum!

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here