Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

that great gretsch sound

Hi, I posted a few weeks ago about a getsch drum I have. It is a floor show model (6.5x14) snare from 1953. Now that I have all the info about the drum itself I am interested in getting the drum to sound as close to original as possible. I don't really have the cash for original heads and snares, but was wondering if anyone could provide me with ideas for some modern day equivalents that would give me a good vintage sound. Any suggestions are welcome.

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Hi, I posted a few weeks ago about a getsch drum I have. It is a floor show model (6.5x14) snare from 1953. Now that I have all the info about the drum itself I am interested in getting the drum to sound as close to original as possible. I don't really have the cash for original heads and snares, but was wondering if anyone could provide me with ideas for some modern day equivalents that would give me a good vintage sound. Any suggestions are welcome.

Aquarian American vintage heads would be a good place to start . As for wires , a generic brand with 20 strands will work fine . It'll sound close , depending on how you tune it up .

1963 Gretsch Progressive Jazz Champagne Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Blue Pearl
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Burgundy Spkl. bop
etc...
Posted on 18 years ago

Hi! Big dog are a budget company, but their stuff has a good reputation - they do a 20 strand snare really cheap - don't know how they distribute in US though?

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here