Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

That great Gretsch head...

So, the drummer in the band I'm in has got a 1982 Gretsch kit (I think a Jasper? Not sure, I'm a total drum newbie), and he's been wanting to replace the heads on the whole kit for a while now. He's having trouble finding a place that sells Gretsch Permatone heads, though. Would he have to go through a Gretsch dealer and special order them, or is there a place online that sells Permatones?

By the way... an interesting story about this guy. He was gigging pretty regularly in New Jersey some 20-odd years ago, playing mostly swing and jazz. After one gig, another fellow drummer approached him and started telling him a story about how his band used to open for Gene Krupa's band. Supposedly, during one gig, Gene like the sound of one of his cymbals so much that he wanted to trade. So this other drummer got one of Gene's cymbals. Anyway, he then gave it to our drummer on one condition... that he doesn't sell it, but pass it on when he's done with it. So, allegedly (the story may or may not be true, and our drummer has his doubts, too) our drummer has one of Gene Krupa's cymbals. He used it at a gig we just finished a few hours ago, too. It's a very thin crash cymbal with small holes circling it. No name on it anywhere, and it's still in great shape. It's got this great swell to it, where it almost sounds like it's naturally compressed.

-Tim

Posted on 18 years ago

Gretsch permatone heads are just Remos with a different stamp. If your friend really wants ones with that logo on them, I'm sure he can order them from any Gretsch dealer (and wait a while). He could try Forks or Explorers.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here