Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Testing, Testing, 1-2-3

If you have not heard or did not read the post, I have 8mm footage of the interior of the 1967 Ludwig factory from BIII. Not just any footage, actual production footage.

Old ladies in babushka's making calfskin heads, brushes etc. and guys smoking cigs while polishing parts. Gone are the days when you could smoke and work heavy machinery. Also, no protective masks or gear... OSHA look out!

As a recap:

Making calfskin heads

Making regular heads and applying the white coating and rubber Ludwig stamp.

Making timpani and painting them.

Making Sticks

Making Brushes

Making Mallets

Making Brass Hoops

Polishing Lugs, shells and hoops

Soldering the ends of snare wires

Installing a Badge

Drilling for Lugs and rails

Packing Department

Shipping Department

A guy tuning bars for a set of bells

Making the Bell Lyras

More stuff.....

I'm currently discussing this with BIII via email since he is out of the country, but we would need to charge for the DVD's and would you guys have any interest to pay.

It would be great if we could just give it away over the Internet and we of course also run the risk of someone buying it and putting it online.

What are your thoughts if any????

David

Posted on 16 years ago

I wouldn't mind seeing it...once! I don't think selling it would be a good idea, but a youtube.com posting or just an area on this website for members to view would be great. Everyone on this website already knows and respects the Ludwig name, and probably a vast majority of us own Ludwig drum kits or snares. You should tell Bill to just allow us to view it as a 'thanks' for many years of supporting the Ludwig company. The mighty dollar isn't everything!!!

1961 Ludwig Super Classic 22,13,16,18, WFL BR Snare WMP
1951-52 Slingerland Radio King Krupa Outfit 24,13,16 Champagne Sparkle
1960s/70s Polaris MIJ 20,12,16 Red Sparkle
2005 Gretsch Catalina Club WMP First Run
2008 Pearl Masters MCX 20,10,12,14f,16f & 14 Diamond Glitter
1999 Yamaha Stage Custom 22,10,12,14r,16f. Marina Green

...& many more...
Posted on 16 years ago

Now I'm a supporter of copyright and generally speaking don't think Youtubing copyrighted material is a great idea.

But I'm guessing that even in the avowedly "niche" world of vintage drums, this film is even more niche than most. I'm guessing you're going to do have to do a minimum run of 500 DVDs to make it worthwhile and........the second someone gets it, they will rip it and put it on Youtube.

Unless there is a serious chance to make some money here (which I kind of doubt) I would have thought Ludwig and VSD doing a joint "free" posting on YouTube (clearly marking the origins of the video from both outfits) is going to have a greater PR value than what you're likely to make out of marginal DVD sales.

Just my two ?res worth.

Regards,

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!

I would probably consider putting up a couple of things for Free on the web site. No need for youtube, since I can host my own video and keep it on my server.

It is probably over an hour worth of material....

I understand the free part and I think in general most of the people I know in the vintage business are doing it for the love of the drums and hobby and not for the money.

We all know there is no long term substantial money in vintage drums and all of the vintage people I know subsidize it with another job, sell new items and other products along with the vintage gear.

For myself it is a different since I try and sell things to pay for my expenses and keeping the web site and forum running.

For Ludwig, it is really the same thing to keep money coming in to pay the bills and keep the business going.

I have already watched it once and can't wait to get it on my computer to watch it again. This is probably the only footage that was ever allowed to be taken inside the working factory....

So I will discuss it further with BIII and recommend we post some of it for free and if someone wants the longer version they can buy it.

I guess that would be the happy medium.

Thanks again!

David

Posted on 16 years ago

I find it difficult to express without insulting someone,but i,d only buy it if i thought it were handled with class....trust me,no insult intended.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here