Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Test to see the effect of the sun on wraps

Everyone knows that besides smoke, the sun is one of the worst enemies for a drum wrap.

So, like my experiment of several ways to remove or lessen yellow from a WMP I am going to do an effect of the sun on various wraps this summer.

The intent is to help those that have kits that may have faded or yellowed over time and when they pick up a drum to go with the kit they need to have the same (or close) wrap color.

I’m pulling all the stuff together right now to do this experiment, but I need some input.

The questions I have are . . .

Do you think there would be a major difference between the wraps that Precision sells (I was told they are made by Delmar) and Jammin’ Sam (not sure who manufactures their wrap)?

Do you think the newer wraps would have some UV inhibitor to protect them?

Do you think there might be a difference of old wraps compared to modern day ones?

If so, any ideas where I might pick up some ~ 4” wide x 12” long pieces of 60’s or 70’s wrap to use (some that have not faded or yellowed/browned too much.

I am planning on using some strips of the following wraps to see the effect the sun has over time:

White Marine Pearl; Black Oyster Pearl; Silver Sparkle; Gold Sparkle

Any others I should try?

Yea, a bit of time on my hands and as my wife says . . . I’m always the inquisitive engineer

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 5 years ago

Very interesting experiment!! I wonder if a UV light of some sort would also give the same effect as the sun would?

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 5 years ago

I think the timescale may be an issue.

Posted on 5 years ago

It takes decades for the sun to break down pigments

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 5 years ago

The yellowing is different from fading. The yellowing in plastics is caused by a chemical that is a flame retardant. Yellowing happens a lot quicker than the fading of colors.

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 5 years ago

K.O. has said that all wrap is made by Delmar so both Precision and Sams products come from the same place ( Delmar). I have been trying to match some wrap for a project and I see Sam offers a vintage black diamond which Precision does not have to offer. So if they come from the same place then why doesn't Precision offer it?

The only wrap that I have to offer is some stuff from a Slingerland kit from the 80's (I think) and its a solid color. Its yours if you feel it will help out in some way.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 5 years ago

Hey JC

Will send you a pm. Yes any wraps I get will be great to experiment on

Believe it or not, I will actually be building a rig to hold the wraps and am sending it to one of my friends in Tucson. Home of bright sunshine almost every day!

I used to do experiments like this when I worked for a plastics company and it really won’t take eons to see some results.

If anyone else has any wraps to share pieces of that would be great. Thanks for all the info everyone.

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 5 years ago

From jccabinets

K.O. has said that all wrap is made by Delmar so both Precision and Sams products come from the same place ( Delmar). I have been trying to match some wrap for a project and I see Sam offers a vintage black diamond which Precision does not have to offer. So if they come from the same place then why doesn't Precision offer it? The only wrap that I have to offer is some stuff from a Slingerland kit from the 80's (I think) and its a solid color. Its yours if you feel it will help out in some way.

Hey Jeff,

Delmar makes a lot of different variations of wraps, more than either Sam or Precision or Drum Supply house sells. Each one of those companies can pick and chose which colors or variations they want to sell and , while there is some overlap in the sparkles, sometimes only one of the places will chose to sell a particular variation of a pearl type finish. For example Jammin Sam is the only one who has the mod colors but it does come from Delmar. Some of these Precision might be able to special order but some are either exclusive to a certain dupplier ( or drum company) or else that distributor took every sheet in a batch and therefore they have all of it and no one else can get it unless they make another batch.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here