Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Tension Rods?

Hey Folks,

I have a ton of drum projects I am trying to complete _ mostly stuff for my own personal use _ but also some to sell or trade.

Anyways _ jokingly in another thread I mentioned that in most cases I really can't tell the difference in standard tension rods between the major makers.

Obviously _ Old Sonor slotted head _ and Bass Drum T-Rods are quite identifiable and specific _ but regarding your standard variety 12/24 thread _ snare and tom tension rods _ I can really see no difference _ and suspect that most drum manufacturers outsourced that production to a few central vendors.

With prices on eBay going anywhere between $2 to $4 bucks a pop _ per period correct and "authentic" tension rod _ can you folks REALLY tell the difference between them?

I suppose the differences are subtle for most times I can't tell them apart.

Granted most of my stuff is intended for playing _ and NOT intended to be show quality _ anyways _ what are your thoughts about all this?

How important do you feel it is to get the manufacturer specific tensions rods for your vintage drums?

Ohm

Posted on 12 years ago

Important......

thats about the first thing I do when I get a drum.............take all the rods out,and see if they are correct/all match.

Got a Kent snare yesterday,and only 5 out of 12 rods were correct.

Also, got a 1970's Gretsch BD yesterday,and it had 5-1950's Gretsch,and 4 Rogers 1960's sets of claws/rods on it!

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 12 years ago

Blairndrum,

Were Kent's an American made drum _ or did they outsource their production _ even back then?

What are the subtle differences between the Major Brands _ is there a Sticky on this topic perhaps _ or an image gallery of period correct tension rods detailing the specific brands?

Thanks for weighing in.

Ohm

Posted on 12 years ago

it only bugs me when they are mismatched, personally I could care less if they are "correct"

Posted on 12 years ago

bought a 76 BR slingy snare with mismatched tension rods. I replaced all of them with new ones. Doesn't bother me in the least. . . James

Posted on 12 years ago

Some of the rods on the toms of my two Gretsch kits are different. Doesn't bother me that they don't match, as much as I'd like to know which ones are correct.

B

Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 12 years ago

i don't have any vintage drums. but if i did (or modern drums in general)

i don't care if they're period, i just like them all to match. unless i'm selling something. in which case i still want them to match just to look uniformal.

i have a bag of used t-rods. if your still looking for some let me know what size(s) and how many.

http://www.drummerfish.weebly.com for drum parts, drum promos , swag, promo media and more for sale
Posted on 12 years ago

Selling a drum with incorrect t-rods and labeling it as "all original" is a no no.

Having a drum with incorrect t-rods is up to me.

Buying a drum labeled as "all original" and finding incorrect t-rods is a real p i s ser.

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

From kevins

Selling a drum with incorrect t-rods and labeling it as "all original" is a no no.Having a drum with incorrect t-rods is up to me.Buying a drum labeled as "all original" and finding incorrect t-rods is a real p i s ser.

LoLoLoLo

yes, indeed!

Posted on 12 years ago

From kevins

Selling a drum with incorrect t-rods and labeling it as "all original" is a no no.Having a drum with incorrect t-rods is up to me.Buying a drum labeled as "all original" and finding incorrect t-rods is a real p i s ser.

Iam in the same boat with Kevins on this one.When it comes to vintage drums i want the right original T-rods,claws and washers for that drum..Also when iam selling a drum..But as far as the set's and snare's i use in the studio incorrect t-rods are fine with me...Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here