Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Tension rod query

Hi. As part of my ongoing Slingerland snare drum conversion, I need to replace the existing tension rods with shorter ones. Can someone tell me what thread/diameter I should be looking for to fit the existing 1940s Slingerland lug inserts? I’ve seen a few options on sites like Drum Factory Direct but uncertain as to the correct ones. Thanks.

"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

1920s 14"x5" Ludwig Super Sensitive Dual Snare
1957 6 1/2" x15" Slingerland WMP Concert King
1938 8"x15" Leedy Broadway Standard
1947-53 14x6.5" NOB Ludwig & Ludwig Universal
...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 4 years ago

Assuming you have some original rods, take them to a hardware store and ask them to check the thread size and pitch. If you do not have the rods, take one of the lugs and ask them to check that instead.

Posted on 4 years ago

+1 with amosguy. 12-24 would be expected.

Posted on 4 years ago

Thanks guys. Unfortunately NZ is completely metric and I’m guessing these tension rod threads are all imperial no wouldn’t hold out a lot of hope in getting an in store ID.

"If 'A' equals 'success' in life then 'A' equals 'X' plus 'Y' plus 'Z' where work equals 'X', 'Y' is play and 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut" - Albert Einstein.

...plus a bunch of mismatched Slingerlands that collectively make a pleasing noise.
Posted on 4 years ago

If you can order from Drum Factory Direct, any of the 12-24 rods will be what you want. Short of that any of the Gibraltar tension rods will also work.

Posted on 4 years ago

Still check with the hardware store. Mine has ability to check both standard and metric threads.

Posted on 4 years ago

Great thanks. I've ordered from Drum Factory so hopefully should be OK.

On a separate note, it's interesting how hard it is to get heads for a 15" drum. Mine had a Duco finish and I'm wrapping it so I'm anticipating some issues with the heads being tight. I've ordered a couple of Aquarian Americal Vintage heads as they are oversized but note that Remo Classic heads (also oversized) are not avilable in 15". Not sure about any other manufactureres of oversized heads?

Posted on 4 years ago
Action Another action Something else here