Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Tempro snare . . .

Hello, I'm hoping someone will tell me a bit about Tempro snare drums; ?are they of any good quality? ?what might one in good condition be worth? Thank you. Barry [email]mountainrt@msn.com[/email]

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

They are a Japanese budget brand. They are not worth much at all. My very first drum kit was a blue sparkle Tempro kit. They may hold some nostalgic value to collectors. There is a growing market for these "stencil" drums -especially if they have an unusual finish.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

What do you mean by "stencil" drum?

Posted on 16 years ago

And what would constitute an "unusual" finish? Thanks. Barry

Posted on 16 years ago

Here's a link to another page on this site all about Japanese drums from the 60's: http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/japanese_list_of_drums.html

Stencil drums were any number of "brands," like Tempro, Mercury, etc, that were actually made in Japan by what are now known as Pearl and Tama.

They offered many unusual finishes not offered by US companies. Some of the best pyschedelics, oysters, satin flames, onyxes and everything in between can be found on the cheap Japanese drums.

Because of the poor quality control and low grade Luan shells, these kits are sometimes referred to as "firewood," although they can be made to sound good with nice heads and bearing edge work.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

Oops... mlvibes beat me to the punch. Disregard this post :)

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

LOL! memories...

My Tempro kit was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen (at the tender age of 9). Aaahh...I remember them well. I had no idea about what a good quality drum was/wasn't at that time....so as far as I knew, they were the best drums in the world -that's the way I felt about them. To this day, I get nostalgic over seeing the "Tempro" brand (which was actually made by the Pearl Company). It makes me think of things like my old green bike and my Daisy BB gun ("You'll shoot your eye out"), Hot Rod magazine and cars like the "Deora" [IMG]http://www.bonediggers.com/1-2/deora/deora6.jpg[/IMG] and Black Cat firecrackers.....Drums really are time machines -in more ways than one!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Ive got a pink sparkle Tempro snare ... sounds like crap but its cool to look at!

Posted on 16 years ago

I am interested in this snare, Mr Barry, if you are trying to sell it. I have the other 3pc's - a recent score at Music Go Round - so I'd like to complete the kit.

Please check your email...

Posted on 16 years ago

Stephen, I would be willing to sell this. I'd like to get out of it at least what I paid for it ($50.00), plus whatever shipping. It came in a black hard case, with a stand and a practice pad and a pair of sticks and a pair of brushes and a couple of books. Let me know if you are interested and I'll see what shipping will be. Barry

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here