Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Tempest 3 piece - early MIJ stencil

Since we have been discussing the history of Pearl/Star/other MIJ imports recently, I thought it might be helpful to post this. Saw this at a local shop and knew I had to take some pics for the forum, especially for the MIJ Junkies Club.

Here we have a very nice, as far as I can tell, original Tempest Deluxe 3 piece (12/14/18) in silver sparkle. Lots of interesting stuff here: the 18" bass drum (!!!) features Trixon style t-rods and a claw design that I've never seen. The lugs are unlike anything that I can recall seeing on a MIJ set. (Are they a copy of another lug design?)

I think the mounting hardware for the rack tom is pretty interesting (sorry, no photo of the bass drum mount.) I've seen this before but can't remember where. Seems like a more substantial/better made system than the rail systems. The floor tom leg mounts look like, if I remember correctly, some Kent mounts I've seen. They also look like the leg mounts that Yamaha and the Yamaha made R-360 drums had.

I was glad to see a set that corroborates Mikey's story about Woody Cooper importing drums from Pearl in Japan (see below.) If Mikey's dates are correct, that would put this set somewhere around 1962-1968.

As you can see, the Tempest Deluxe badge is just like Mikey describes. I am curious, however, if the name "Jazzmaster" (either in addition to or rather than "Stagemaster") might have been one of the sets that was imported by Mr. Cooper? Could be possible given the similar badge and larger wingscrews on the tom mount as seen here:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=11723

Anyway, lots to discuss. Hope this helps us fill in the puzzle a little bit.

(Originally Posted by MIKEY777) "In 1962[mid] he ordered more sets but wanted to sell them across the U.S.A.he said he added pearl finish [w.m.p.--b.d.p.--pink d.p.] and change the name again to "Tempest" change the badge to a oval made of brass-[slingerland copy]-painted black with tempest in gold letters badge also had "de-luxe" under the tempest name at bottom of badge again sold these sets across the U.S.A.--By late 1964 Pearl wanted to export pearl sets under the Pearls name thats when Pearl drums became inports to the U.S.A,but still made sets for Mr.Cooper to sell under the Tempest name Mr.cooper told me by 1966 Pearl was flooding the market with the sets they made,they were useing Pearl and about 75 other names..Pearl still made the Tempest sets for Mr. Cooper but also wanted him to order more sets so in late 1966 Mr.cooper came out with another name of drums"stagemaster" also still useing Tempest these badges were stickers somewhat oval is shape letters and around the badge was gold the backing color was an off-white..By late 1968 or the first part of 1969 Mr. cooper stop useing Tempest and Stagemaster as names..."

Posted on 14 years ago

If I remember right, Tempest came up from Pearl?

Those 'put through' tom brackets also vote for Pearl's ...

But I'm not the 'Pearl man'.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago

Are those for sale??

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

That name is covered in this article. Japanese Imports

Can you get me a better photo of that badge? I need it for the web site.

David

Posted on 14 years ago

Yes, according to Mikey's account, these were imported from Pearl. However, the features must have changed, or different specs were ordered, or something, because these really dont seem to have much in common with this early Pearl set:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=4891

The only thing I can really point to, to make some kind of connection, is the all capitol letter font on the badges - PEARL, TEMPEST DELUXE, JAZZMASTER. And the badges are black ovals, like Star badges, but they are all Slingerland copy badges, so it makes sense. If anyone has any pics of drums with this style of mounting hardware for the rack tom (the tom mount bracket or the mount on the bass drum) or the floor tom mounts, please post them! The only way we are going to find out about these drums is by having lots of examples to look at and discuss.

I apologize for the poor quality pics from my crappy cell phone, but I had to get something. Couldn't pass up a chance to document these!

Next time I go to the shop, if the set is still there, I will try to get a better photo of the badge to send. I dont know if the drums will still be there, though, as I'm sure the sizes and condition make them pretty desirable.

(I took these pics for the purpose of discussing these drums on the forum. I am not affiliated with the shop that has or had them. I took these pics about 2-3 weeks ago. I have no clue as to their current availability.)

Posted on 14 years ago

Oh yes,the badges on Mr.Coopers set are like that tempest black with gold lettering[i have 100's of them]..The lugs are copys of gretsch[this would date the set from 1964-66....also mr.Cooper had pearl copy the Trixon t-rods on the bass drum and used them on all of his drums.. i still have some of them[t-rods].The tom mount is wrong for the set,that mount came out in 1974-75 made by pearl used on the high end shells[wood-fiberglass or fiberglass only shells] i have the Pearl catalog that shows both mounts single and double mounts.[i will email anyone the photo of the page just P.M. me]The set with a 18" bass is a rare one to come by,i have only seen one other of these Tempest sets with a 18" bass drum,Not to many were made...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Hey B-

How much does he want for those?

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Like I said, I'm not associated with the shop in anyway (asided from the fact that I stop by there from time to time and drool all over everything!)

But if I remember correctly, I think they were priced right around $500. Might sound like a lot for a 3 piece, but an 18" bass drum? I think they'll get their asking price, if they haven't sold the set already.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here