Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Tell me, professor....

I have never played, or even seen in person, a Ludwig SuperSensitive Snare. It appears from the pictures I see here and elsewhere that the concept is to move (tighten or loosen) the snare wires from both ends. It seems to require a lot of "hardware" and moving parts running through, and sticking out of, both sides of the drum.

Being the dunce I am...please tell me, do I have the concept correct, how does that make a difference (if it does), were they (are they) a really great drum...compared to a SupraPhonic, for example??

Thanks for educating me!

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

The Supersensitive was considered a concert snare drum. Not necessarily a drum set snare drum. Ludwig had the Supraphonic for that.

The Super was called the 4-1 because there were 4 different wire sets you could quickly interchange at any time.

On the Super the wires extend past the bearing edges to give the drum a complete coverage of the wires over the bottom head.

They also raise and lower evenly on both ends and remain in tension at all times. This of course was not a new concept or unique concept just one that they re-worked over time.

It did have a lot more parts and as a drum set snare in cases did not hold up well. Like most instruments if it is treated with care it will last and perform as expected.

David

Posted on 14 years ago

^^^^ Great post!!Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the info on the Supersensitive. I did not know that it had quick-change snares and did not realize the snares remained under tension even when lowered. I'm glad I asked...I learned a lot.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

Tama had a similar design in the 70s and 80s. I believe the snares were called "Mastercraft," though they had ImperialStar badges. Great snare drums.

EDIT: Scratch that. I checked the catalog page here, and it looks like the snare I'm thinking of was the Tama "King Beat." From what I can tell, the Mastercraft didn't have the parallel strainer. Any Tama experts care to weigh in?

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 14 years ago

I used to have a Tama Imperialstar with this mechanism, but I don't know the age.

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here