Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Tech Recommendations? Single-Ply Ludwig & Ludwig Repair

Hello, first time/long time here!

I loaned my favorite snare, a steam bent maple 1941 Ludwig & Ludwig 6.5" to a friend for a recording session. When he gave it back, the strainer had staved in the shell around it. Obviously it had been dropped, but he denies it.

Obviously I'm furious, but my first order is seeing about getting it fixed. There's a local guy who does good work, but I'm looking for the Gandhi of drum repair to make it like it never happened. I'd also be interested in finally having it restored which I've meant to do. Any recommendations? I'm in the upper midwest. Thanks!

[IMG]http://imgur.com/a/p1tr4[/IMG]

(Edit: this should be a picture of the problem, if you cant see it I think you can follow the link to imgur.)

Posted on 7 years ago

Hello SinglePly and Welcome to the forum!

First, it might help to know where you are located. If you're close the the Los Angeles area, I recommend my friend, Chris Heuer, who owns Heuer's Drum Lab in Burbank. Chris can work miracles with repair...and specializes in vintage drums. His website is http://heuersdrumlab.com/

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

Well I'm in Minnesota specifically, but I'd be willing to go a little distance for the right repair job. I've attached a photo of the damage, as I don't think the embedded one is working.

The other factor is that I have an entire kit that matches the snare, which is why I've held of on a full restoration as I'd like to do it all at once.

1 attachments
94.5 kB
Posted on 7 years ago

Sorry that happened. Not a very good friend if damage happens on his watch and he denies it. A true friend would be honest and offer to pay for the repair. You might want to re-think your "friendship" with this individual.

Precision Drum Company out of Upstate New York does great repairs too.

Posted on 7 years ago

Yes I know, he's terrible. But the damage is done, and that's the real tragedy. How many single-ply L&L snares even exist?

Anyways, I think unless someone tells me that I HAVE to send this snare to Craviotto or something to get the job done right I'll probably go with my local guy. Other idea, would a furniture/violin shop be a good place to take this repair?

Attached is a pic of the whole kit. All of the hardware was painted in gold enamel, and the shells have been stripped and stained. I think they used to be B/G Duco. I promise I had nothing to do with those mods! It's an incredible sounding kit.

1 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here