Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Teach me about Rogers drums

As I've mentioned before. I've learned that the prevailing opinion on this forum is that Rogers products are exceptional. I bought a 62 Holiday snare and I like it a lot. I have breen looking at kits and I just noted that there is a new Rogers line. I've attached a photo for clarity. Who makes these drums? Do they have anything in common with the 60s drums? Are they good products?

How high quality are the mid 60s kits? I've attached a photo of one I am looking at. Is Cleveland better than Dayton? Does it really matter in terms of quality? How are they in terms of being a player's kit? I understand the bread and butter vs. beavertail issue. I want to accumulate a few opinions.

Thanks.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

2 attachments
Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

Those drums on the left are imports that were distibuted by the now bankrupt Brook Mays corp. They have nothing to do with Rogers drums other than the name and copy of the lug. Yamaha just took the Rogers name as part of their settlement with Brook Mays.

The "prime era" for Rogers is considered to be mid '60s, from the flat gray interior Cleveland drums to the early Fullerton ones (around 1968). The Clevelands and Daytons were actually both made at the same factory.

The best "finds" are 18" bass drums, 14" floor toms and 6.5" wooden snares (powertones and dynasonics). The most common sets are 20, 12, 16. 20,12, 14 and 22, 13, 16 sets are more desireable, but they're all really great. The Fullerton drums sound good too, but the flat colors (blak and white) and the wood tone colors (i.e. koa, butcher block) just don't have the same appeal.

You might want to check out the Rogers book...

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Gary...

Without being derogatory towrds Rich K., I must gently disagree with his "assesment" of what Rogers drums are desireable, and or sought after, although he makes a couple good points. Generally,

The OHIO built Rogers drums from 1964 on are the ones that are most sought after, ( sizes aside ) and those will INCLUDE both Cleveland and Dayton. The main reasons are the attention and pride given to QUALITY at this point in the company's history, and the fact that the shells themselves were old growth and very dense. Couple that with the HEAVY cast Beavertail lugs and nice quality hoops, and you have a smokin' sounding/playing drum kit. The Swivo-Matic hardware speaks for itself, as well as being very heavily copied by EVERYBODY and their brother!

The Fullerton built Rogers, while still being Rogers!, did start to suffer in the "quality" department... not right away, but pretty quickly. The switch to lighter cast metal, and cast versus machined hardware/mounts also contributed. The NEW trunk paint sprayed on the interiors of the shells wasn't as dense as the old flat grey, and that combined with slightly lesser quality/lighter wood shells, also factors into a slightly different sound to the drums themselves. Again, still pretty nice, but nowhere near as cherished as the older '64 to '68 Rogers drums... and these are the ones that always seem to have the BEST resale as well as collectible value. Sound is a given... they're Rogers! :-)

Rob Cook's Rogers Book is highly recommended as Rich K. has stated. It will give you a fast and excellent working knowledge of this particular and highly respected drum builder... and it's a great read in it's own right!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

If you are planning to buy, just be careful what you are buying or bidding on. Rogers made some great drums. I love them, and have played them since I started in 1974. I own 5 sets, of various vintage. My first set of drums was Rogers in 1979. I still have them. What you have to be careful of are Cleveland B&B drums that someone hacked just a bit to accept Beavertail lugs. Also, some of the 60s wraps were prone to splits and cracks. Also the metallics of the mid 70s to early 80s were prone to checking. BD spurs in the memrilock era, were not a good design and put excessive stress on the shells. I lost a BD in a double bass set because of that. And some idiot moving my kit when I wasnt around. Hence, the careful. And as Tommy stated in the Fullerton years, quality was from bottom to top. Especially later. Ive seen good edges and bad edges in mid to late 70s drums. And the XP8 drums, .......were very good drums. But again, depending on where and when they were built, Fullerton Ca, or for a short time, Mexico, then Monrovia CA and then back to Fullerton.(If I remember right). From there it went offshore, and in the toilet. And I dont have the specific dates/years for this stuff, but I think its in the Rogers book.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago

Gary, You know that I am no expert, but one thing you should ask the seller of this set (which you may already have done so) is regarding the Dyna-Sonic snare drum - whether it has the snare frame or not. Mike L

Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Mike L!

The snare drum with the BDP kit that Gary is looking at here isn't a Dynasonic. The snare drum in the picture is an 8 lug COB Powertone... so no worries on the missing snare frame! :-)

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

tommyp, goes to show you when a novice offers advice! please follow up with me when you can too. thanks mike

Posted on 17 years ago

Are you guys sure? I think it might be a dynasonic - you can barely see the center lines.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 17 years ago

mlvibes...

To be honest, I was going by the lug spacing as the drum isn't completely shown in the picture. And, you may be right... after closer examination it very well could be a 10 lugger, and that would in fact make it a Dynasonic.

I have four Rogers Dynasonics, two WMP wood, and two COB 7 liners. The 7 etched lines are very apparent at almost any angle!... but this drum is a bit hard to judge. Easy enough to find out I suppose... just ask the guy! :-)

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

I found the location of the drums and politely asked the seller if they were sure if wasn't an 8 lug Powertone. I got a not-so-friendly response from the seller, a well-known drum store. "Center lines on a Powertone? I don't think so." I hadn't seen the picture that shows the center lines closely. It's a 7 line dynasonic, but there's no pics of the strainer, frame, or serial plate. So it might be worth asking about the frame, etc.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here