Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Tama superstars [80's vintage]

Hey all........I picked up a ratty set of Tama Superstars.[ wood/stain finish is in bad shape] I am considering a wrap on them . I am curious if the heads will fit on them with the extra thickness of the wrap. Has anybody out there recovered a kit of this nature?.........Thanks, Rob from the Atl

Posted on 13 years ago

From binny

Hey all........I picked up a ratty set of Tama Superstars.[ wood/stain finish is in bad shape] I am considering a wrap on them . I am curious if the heads will fit on them with the extra thickness of the wrap. Has anybody out there recovered a kit of this nature?.........Thanks, Rob from the Atl

Take a credit card and debit card, put them on opposing sides, if you have 3 or 4, it would be more likely to fit better, and see if they fit tight. If the cards are tight, it is OK as the wrap is not quite as thick, so you should be able to gauge by that fitting. It is the closest thing we have to getting an idea. If the head is "just snug", then the fit will be OK. Use tape to hold the cards in place. If you don't have multiples, that's OK, just think about how it fits.

It takes time, but getting right is better learned from no loss of wrap. If they are too tight with just the cards, you might consider different heads, Like Vintage Americans. (You can also get sample pieces from the wrap re-sellers and use those as gauges, they will send you pieces for free, just ask for 3-5 sample colors as the colors don't matter, you only need the thickness to get it right). There are many ways to get to the summit, but not wasting money is the best and most powerful. If you have some old wrap removed from another drum, you could use it as a gauge, but realize many of the new wraps could be thicker or thinner than the oldies.

Good Luck, and keep us updated on the results as it could help someone in the future as to what you did and used to get it right!

Try www.Jamminsams.com or www.precisiondrum.com or www.drummaker.com all will likely send you small sample pieces to get an idea of the real color, but Sams will call you until you tell them to stop calling. She is relentless!

If you go this route, be sure to tape them down extremely well so you get a real idea of fit. Remember, glue is much stronger than tape, so use the corners of the samples to get a better fit. Just tape up the sample at 1/4's to each other and get to it. If the heads are too tight, you may need to go to Aquarian for the American Vintage" over-sized heads. I think that is the name. Ask around, as they are made for over-sized older shells.

OK, enough of the ramble on.....go get you some!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here