Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Tama Superstar Snare 1970s vintage

I'm hoping someone can help me better identify this drum. I purchased brand new back in the 1970s along with a full Tama Superstar kit. I sold the kit but kept the snare. It sounds killer and cuts like a knife. I've searched Tama's history but can't locate a brochure or catalog that includes this drum. No photos, no history, nothing. Anyone who can add to this, I'd appreciate it.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Welcome

This looks to be a Mastercraft Artwood.

6 ply maple shell with really tasteful wood inlay

and the Tama RB throw and butt.

The 6.5" was #AW-456 ( Yours? ) and the 5"

was #AW-455.

Such simple nomenclature!

Incidentally, IMO Tama was making some of their finest

snares in this period with offerings in Bell Brass ( priced one

of those lately? ) Rosewood and Fibreglass.

A very lovely drum.

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 14 years ago

The same shells with a similar inlay were also available in the late 70's under Tama's Camco brand as the "Renaissance" series. They offered a darker walnut or mahogany stain finish with natural maple inlay, too.

These were the first new drums without re-rings I actually considered buying at one time.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Stallwart

The same shells with a similar inlay were also available in the late 70's under Tama's Camco brand as the "Renaissance" series. They offered a darker walnut or mahogany stain finish with natural maple inlay, too.These were the first new drums without re-rings I actually considered buying at one time.

Do you know if this is maple or birch? Have any idea of value?

Posted on 14 years ago

I believe the shell has core plies of Birch with a Maple outer ply. I'm not certain about the inner ply.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here