Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Tama Starclassic Floor Tom

I'm not familiar with NON-USA manufactured drums and need some "expertise" regarding a TAMA STARCLASSIC floor tom.

This particular piece is in a 14 x 14 configuration with some sort of green finish (wrap?) which, I've been informed, is original. The finish might actually be discontinued from what I've been told. The current owner believes the shell's made out of birch, but isn't sure.

Here are my questions:

1. Without pics is there anyone out there who might be able to provide a "guesstimate" of the age of this drum?

2. Is the STARCLASSIC considered a "high end" TAMA model or a budget model?

3. Would a 14x14 size floor tom be considered rare or quite common for this particular manufacturer?

4. Do you think there might be any "market interest" for a piece such as this and, if so, what would be a "guesstimate" regarding its value?

THANKS in advance for your help!

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Ask him what the badge reads. Does it say Japan ?

Starclassics tend to be better shells....whether older or contemporary, they are good, quality shells.

I believe, however, they can be either birch or maple, depending on the exact date of the drum...

Have you visited the Tama home site ? They usually will have breakdowns on their shells...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey, Jaye,

THANKS for the feedback. I've asked the current owner to send me a pic of the badge on the floor tom. Hopefully, that will help identify the age of the drum. The current owner is the gentleman who mentioned that he believes the shell to be birch. He also stated that he believes this particular finish might have been discontinued.

I did take a look at the TAMA site but, not knowing the age of the drum, I couldn't determine which shell material would be applicable. Any idea what a drum like this might be worth on the open market? The

14x14 configuration is what caught my eye. I'm just wondering whether it would be worth it for me to drive out to have a look at it.

Posted on 15 years ago

Jaye:

Here's what I've learned -- The Serial Number on the badge is 008108. I've researched some posts that indicate that the year of manufacturing would have been 1990. Not sure if that's accurate though. I've got a few pics of the drum and the same or similar badge on it. Unfortunately, they're too big to post.

Any idea of what this piece might be worth?

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here