Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Tama shells

I'm like a fish out of water when it comes to "Non-USA" drums. I'm hoping that one of you TAMA experts out there can answer a, hopefully, simple question: Did all of TAMA's interior shells from the '70s and '80s feature their Zola-Coat finish and reinforcement rings or was that limited to a specific time period? Thanks in advance for your time and your help!

Posted on 6 years ago

Tama zola coat was on Imperialstar, Royalstar and Swingstar series, not on the Superstar and Fibrestar (neither the acrylics ofcourse) in the 70's and early 80's. The entire Imperialstar series and some Royalstar concert toms had re-rings up to early 80's (82-83) when re-rings were dropped and essentially droppig the Imperialstar series. When Star became Tama the shells had a gray interior just like the Star, Zola coat came soon after. I hope I was of any help.

Posted on 6 years ago

From neorich05

Tama zola coat was on Imperialstar, Royalstar and Swingstar series, not on the Superstar and Fibrestar (neither the acrylics ofcourse) in the 70's and early 80's. The entire Imperialstar series and some Royalstar concert toms had re-rings up to early 80's (82-83) when re-rings were dropped and essentially droppig the Imperialstar series. When Star became Tama the shells had a gray interior just like the Star, Zola coat came soon after. I hope I was of any help.

Thanks so much for your time and for all the information that you provided. You were extremely helpful and I appreciate it!Bowing

Posted on 6 years ago

You are welcome. I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Posted on 6 years ago

The re-rings were dropped earlier than 82.

Imperialstars were produced up until Tama revamped their entire line changing the Superstars to Granstars in the later 80's.

I have Imperialstars with and without rings....

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 6 years ago

The re-rings could have been dropped in 81. I also have Imps with and without re-rings. The ones without have the 83-xxxx badges, hence the 82-83 estimate.

Posted on 6 years ago

They used the re ring shells in the early Camco drums, from what Ive been reading. Does anyone know if those were Tama built shells, or were they sourced through keller, since the early camco were made in the USA?

Posted on 6 years ago

bbeyer: From what I read some where left over shells from Camco and some where Japanese shells. Check out the thread below.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=31887

Posted on 6 years ago

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversary/

Looks like 79 or 80 when they dropped the rings and went with thicker shells....

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 6 years ago

Hello,

I have asked a similar question some time ago:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=45695&highlight=rerings

What I/ we know is that Star's very latest series was called 'Royal Star' and some of these drums (not all - I have sets with both interiors: the other one is painted grey inside) had a clean laquered finish inside plus rerings. Heavy shells.

Also at one of Tama's first series (I believe), the one with the 'Perfect Percussion' badge, appeared some kits (not all) with rerings.

Cheers, Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here