Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

TAMA "Beater Kit"?

First, let me make it quite clear that I know little to nothing regarding kits not made here in the U.S.. Having said that, a friend of mine is considering grabbing the kit shown in the two attached pics to use as a "beater kit" in his practice studio. He asked what I thought. Well, I honestly have nothing to offer him on this one and am hoping that some of you "experts" might. Is there any way of determining the approximate age of the kit, based on the TAMA badge/label shown in the pic? The current owner stated that there's a serial number of "501735" on the drums. Also, based on what you're seeing, any ideas on what might be a reasonable offer to throw out to get discussions started? I'd love your input. Any other "words of wisdom" regarding the sound and/or build quality (or lack thereof) would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and your help!

2 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

I will make an educated guess. I own a similar set badged as a Rockstar. Same dimensions, same tom mount and same lugs. It's from 1989 and made in Japan. I'd say these are a cheaper all-luan or some such wood version of those, since the Rockstar line switched to "strap" or high tension style lugs in 1990 or 91. And those Swingstars have some Taiwan hardware like the BD hoops and the snare. It is, in my opinion a $150 to $200 drum set. I paid $100 for the Rockstars 5 years ago with stands and an American Camco snare.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here