Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Tama King Beat Steel Snares - Consistent?

After some great recordings with a 5x14 King Beat, I'm looking to get one to live at the studio. Being steel with diecast hoops, is there much variation between them? In other words, should purchasing an all-original be fairly safe without hearing, or do they vary wildly?

I've read there can be issues with their lugs. Any other things to watch out for?

Thanks!

Posted on 9 years ago

every mastercraft and kingbeat I have ever owned has sounded great ( loud to me ) the extended keys are fairly key to the sound. I think they are pretty consistent. I would primarily worry about roundness and completeness of the drums. with the lugs you do have to be carefull and mayube even have a few spares. some of the imperial star screws are longer than others so make sure you use the same hardware. I have a old kingbeat 5 14 and the hoops are beat to hell and warped..... the drum still sounds fantastic.

Posted on 9 years ago

I replaced the lugs on mine with tube lugs from a company called All Star. Same sound with reliable hardware….

[IMG]http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64253&d=1406618276[/IMG]

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 9 years ago

During that period TAMA used the same spun steel shell for it's entire steel shell model line. That shell and the diecast hoops are a great combination!Bowing

Never play it the same way once.
Posted on 9 years ago

Well-made snare drums! I've got one in VG+ condition that I'd be willing to part with. It just sits in a box in the closet and could use a new home! It's been completely disassembled, detailed and adjusted. Includes the original wires, plus a set of Puresound wires. The snare-side head is original, but the batter head is a new Aquarian Studio-X. PM me if interested.

-Mark

5 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Forgot to mention that the cracking/breaking lug issues were for those on the 6.5" deep shell. I never had any breakage issues with my 5x14 Superstar snare drum I had in the late 80's.

-Mark

Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks, all!

Posted on 9 years ago

Here's another picture showing all the parts removed for detailing.

-Mark

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here