Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Tales of ludwig acrolite's

This is a thread about the all mighty Ludwig acrolite, That was conceived as a certain price point drum, that far exceeded even ludwig's expectations, with that first off has anyone noticed the crazy ebay prices lately on ludwig acrolites????, and Now what are some of the rarest acrolites you have seen or own??, mine so far are a supersensitive 5x14". and a 6 1/2x14" acrolite, and a chrome acrolite,Yes Sir

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Every drummer should have least one acrolite in their collection. Had 3, down to a late 60's acro with the original case and stand. Love that drum. My favorite acrolite that I owned was given to me, after being saved from the trash. I cleaned it up and it sounded great. Local Detroit legend, "Sweet" Stevie Firneno has it now. More tales of the acrolites!

Rogers early Fullerton Blue Strata 22,13,16 w/brass Dynasonic
My first kit, 1983 Ludwig Rocker? (it has the classic lugs and 4ply maple shell) 22,12,13,16 ..now in black oyster pearl. I still have it
Stop Sign USA Gretsch (80's), black nitron jasper shell 22,12,13,16
1995 Fibes Austin,Texas Badge (original owner) 22,10,12,16,18 in natural wood
USA 2007 Rosewood Gretsch 22,13,16 w/12inch 70's Rosewood Gretsch tom
Posted on 14 years ago

I traded my 70s acro to a buddy who was in serious need of a working snare. I got a 6.5x14 Remo Acousticon back. Up until a few years ago, my primary snare was a black galaxy acro I bought in '98. I have since been using a '78 supra, but use the acro as my gig back up. While tuning tonight for a gig this weekend, I noticed that the acro is just as awesome as the supra. It has a particular sound that I just love for recording. I loaned it to a buddy once for a recording session. His peavy radial whatever snare wasn't working well, but the acro had the engineer practically drooling. I have had numerous compliments from sound guys on the acro at gigs. I'm sold!

Oh, the prices do seem really ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as every seller claiming the acrolite as a rare model!?!?!? Really, they only made a million of them...LOL!

lvd

looking for Ludwig Black Panther 8" concert tom
Posted on 14 years ago

I'd love to hear a 6.5x14 Acro sometime.

Really dig my '67 5x14.

It's one of those snares you can call on to do most anything, versatile, to use a cliche.

Posted on 14 years ago

i think the keystone models are some of the finest snares ever made. the pointy badge b/o models sound almost as good in my opinion and can be had on the cheap.

i own a pre serial prototype, a keystone badge, a b.o badge and a black galaxy model. they are all fine drums.

my proto has got to be one of my favorite snare drums hands down...

mike

Posted on 14 years ago

I have always had a thing for the Acro. My brather had the obligatory student model, mid 70s with the first gen UFO case. It just has "that sound". This fall, I went on a buying spree and ended up with a '76 quite by accident. It has a Rapid Strainer of all the throws it could have on it. Works flawlessly, and is really very smooth. The story on the kit it came with is those monster Ludwigs are from the first drummer Toby Keith ever had. Now, I know this should have been a Supra if included in a kit, but since there is not a matching floor tom, My guess is the guy went on the cheap, trading down from the Supra and leaving the floor tom behind for a stripped down kit. It also had a Pearl hat stand, and only one flat based cymbal stand. This is why I think it was a stripped kit. The seller told me he bought the kit new with all of his High School graduation money.

So, this franken-kit is now taking up seriously expensive square footage. The Acrolite is the best snare in my collection, and I have managed to put together some really phat sounding little scheap-o MIJ snares. I have the "red rocket", and that little thin shelled baby screams. It has a sound the Acrolite can't get to, but when you want to get loud and in the way, grab the Acro, and playt your heart out, it likes it that way....

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Tonight I went to listen to a fellow drummer's band again. 15 or 20 years ago I traded a '66 Acrolite to him for a Sparkling Champagne Pioneer 6-lug snare of the same era.

Although I've sat in and played "my old/his new" Acro several times, tonight I listened to the band from the back of the room for a change (got there late, no tables up front). The tone, projection and fullness of that snare are simply amazing. Although a fairly small venue, lots of bodies in the room and carpet, it cut.

Lucky for me, I found a 1970 Acrolite in excellent shape a few weeks ago. I'm inspired.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here