Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Taking spray paint off of wrap

Hey everyone,

I picked up 22, 16, 13 set of Ludwig drums for my father in law that have completely spray painted over. It looks like there may be a cortex (mahogany maybe?) wrap underneath. I'd like to take the paint off...any suggestions? The paint doesn't appear to be very thick.

1 attachments
63.2 kB
Posted on 10 years ago

Motsenbockers Grafitti Remover #4.

I used it to remove several coats of paint from a mardi gras kit. Didn't harm the wrap at all and removed the paint quickly and easily. Spray on, wipe off.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

+! on the grafitti remover. Got mine at Lowes, also Home Depot. Took a couple of sprays for an interior paint job, but easy to use and no strong smell. Use outside anyway.........

Posted on 10 years ago

Great advice everyone! I really appreciate it...i'll shoot some before and after photos when the time comes.

-Andrew

Posted on 10 years ago

ff428 did an entire thread on this about a year and a half ago. Don't remember what it was called but it you search and can find it there was a LOT of useful information in the thread

Posted on 10 years ago

From CT Pro Percussion

ff428 did an entire thread on this about a year and a half ago. Don't remember what it was called but it you search and can find it there was a LOT of useful information in the thread

Matt, I think you are referring to the thread about using the chemicals that printers used to clean the printing equipment with. That was an interesting thread but I'm sure Purdie Shuffle and Amosguy can be trusted with their recommendation as well, these guys know their stuff.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago

From jccabinets

Matt, I think you are referring to the thread about using the chemicals that printers used to clean the printing equipment with. That was an interesting thread but I'm sure Purdie Shuffle and Amosguy can be trusted with their recommendation as well, these guys know their stuff.

I didn't mean to seem as if I was questioning anybody's recommendations. I am trying to remember the exact thread. I had set aside some drum wrap with paint on it to give to him at one point. Was a very interesting read.

I found the link to the thread.

Posted on 10 years ago

From CT Pro Percussion

I didn't mean to seem as if I was questioning anybody's recommendations. I am trying to remember the exact thread. I had set aside some drum wrap with paint on it to give to him at one point. Was a very interesting read.I found the link to the thread.

Matt, I may have used the wrong words. I dont think me or anyone thought you were questioning the other guys recommendations, just stating that those were good recommendations. Sorry if it sounded negative.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago

From jccabinets

Matt, I may have used the wrong words. I dont think me or anyone thought you were questioning the other guys recommendations, just stating that those were good recommendations. Sorry if it sounded negative.

It's all good.

Posted on 10 years ago

Yep the paint removal thing I was trying needs more work. I got mixed results plus is was cold weather which may have affected things. I was also sick a day and unable to check the wrap samples (they were at work). So the paint on the wrap dried out and hardened again. Some worked good and some not. I need to spend more time on this and try it again. Maybe some new chemicals too. Now that it's warm weather I may get better results. We'll see.

Matt man I'm sorry.... I forgot about the piece of painted wrap you have my bad!! If you still have it maybe we can meet up sometime?

The Motsenbocker product does work well. But you need to keep a eye on it as it can melt the wrap in some cases. I used it to remove paint off a bass hoop and left the painted over inlay on the hoop. The chemical reacted faster on the wrap inlay than the wood and my inlay melted. Rookie mistake on my part. I've mentioned this before so just a fwiw situation.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here