Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Taking apart a Ludwig beater?

Somewhere along the line, I came into possession of 3 or 4 WFL logo washers. They are the size to fit on the end of a bass drum beater. Haven't found another use for them.

Anyone taken apart and reassembled a Ludwig beater? Looks like the bottom washers must stick on something -- a tab or what ever. And it looks like the top of the beater is then just peened... not much to do but grind it off, I think, and then that extra 1/8 to peen is gone.

Any mad scientists give this a try??

Posted on 12 years ago

The upper part of the Ludwig shaft is slightly narrower than the rest, so it forms a shelf that catches the lower washer. If you ground away the top of the shaft that is peened there would be no more room for a replacement washer. However, all you would need to do is grind away a small portion of the shaft near the bottom washer. This would allow the bottom washer & felt to shift down a little bit, & would create a little bit of the stem to stick above the top, which could be peened again. I have also accumulated several repaired beaters where the person put some threads on the end of the shaft for a small screw to hold everything in place, (this is not very aesthetic, but is another solution).

Posted on 12 years ago

Excellent information - thank you -- An interesting process, and must be cost efficient.

Actually, I could see that threaded the top and securing with the right kind f fastener would be more aesthetically appealing than the peened top...

I haven't tried this yet... I wonder if the bottom of the shaft is vulnerable to becoming misshapen when I'm hitting the top with the hammer...

Well, wait and see, I guess!

Thanks!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here