Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Taking apart a 1960 Ludwig Rail Consolette

Hey there. I've got a rail consolette that came with the set I just picked up, and it's pretty grimy/dirty. I'm looking to clean it up, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. Nor do I even really know how it's supposed to fully function when it's in proper working order.

Anyone have any tips as to how to go about doing this? Maybe how to take it apart/put it back together, and what I should expect when it's back together, with regards to what should be able to move and how.

Thanks!

Posted on 7 years ago

This picture should illustrate the type of rail consolette that was supplied with your transition badge Ludwig set.

There is the mount that is bolted to your bass drum using two bolts. The rail then bolts to that mount using one bolt at each end. There is a link that bolts to the rail with a pinching action and allows the link to be moved forward and backward to adjust the tom-tom position in that axis. There is a tilter that bolts to the link with a similar pinching action and allows the tom-tom to be positioned in the up and down direction such as to place it at the angle that is comfortable for the player. The tilter has a spade that allows the tom-tom to be hung on the overall mounting unit. On your set, the spade might be an 'L' shaped piece that slips into a receiving slot in the mount on the tom-tom, which is then secured with a bolt that is incorporated into the mount.

Hope this helps.

Posted on 7 years ago

Great pic Dan !

123 - Once you have it apart (careful when you take the link off of the rail so it does not scratch it) there are so many methods to clean up chrome plated parts and many of us swear by their own method. . . .

All of the following work great if there is some dirt, dinge, rust etc: Vapo Rust, Quick Glo, Vinegar, Mothers mag polish. My preference is 20 minutes in my heated ultra sonic bath in a suspended ziplock bag of vinegar or Vapo Rust. Then followed by a rub down of Mothers Mag Polish. I always do a final coat of caranuba wax to help keep the parts from oxidizing or pitting again. Hope this helps and good luck on the restore.

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

From Dan Boucher

This picture should illustrate the type of rail consolette that was supplied with your transition badge Ludwig set. There is the mount that is bolted to your bass drum using two bolts. The rail then bolts to that mount using one bolt at each end. There is a link that bolts to the rail with a pinching action and allows the link to be moved forward and backward to adjust the tom-tom position in that axis. There is a tilter that bolts to the link with a similar pinching action and allows the tom-tom to be positioned in the up and down direction such as to place it at the angle that is comfortable for the player. The tilter has a spade that allows the tom-tom to be hung on the overall mounting unit. On your set, the spade might be an 'L' shaped piece that slips into a receiving slot in the mount on the tom-tom, which is then secured with a bolt that is incorporated into the mount. Hope this helps.

If I don't have that 7/16'' rail key, is using the rail near impossible until I obtain one?

Posted on 7 years ago

You can go to Sears hardware and pick up a 7/16 closed end box wrench for about $4.00

Or, look on the Bay and pick up a rail key for $15+ Or a vintage one for $30.

I prefer the closed box wrench, easy to use and less of a chance to strip or round out the nut.

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks for the help, I'll definitely get the box wrench.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here