Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Take On Nylon Snares

I hope tommy sees this post, I just bought a Corder snare, its a monster, 15" head, 8" deep, it has nylon snares, drum is mint, since I play in a hard rock band, I thought this snare would work good, however I'm not familiar with non metal snares, not even sure if these are nylon, its a heavy material of some sort, if anyone can chime in on this..before I gig out with it, I'm bringing it to practice over the weekend, I will post pic s soon.........

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 14 years ago

Slingerland!...

Snares other then wire "usually" sound a bit drier, the word "usually" in quotes as there are of course exceptions. I have played nylon as well as cable snares in the past and that is what I thought about them... also ... volume/crispness is a tad subdued with nylon. Interestingly,

If the Corder snare that you have is COF, I have to tell you that back in the late 70's I was playing a Fibes SFT 690 COF in the 61/2X14 size that I had set up with "Hinger Touch Tone" coated cable snares. The cable slightly "tamed" the fiberglass shell but still had nice projection. I also noticed that I had to articulate every stroke with precision as there was no "slop/buzz" with those snares. Course I was but 23 at the time and had blazing chops, so it wasn't a problem. Billy Cobham was THE man at the time, so I was playing a full set of Fibes with Crystilite shells and the COF snare previously mentioned. I read in an interview with Billy Cobham that he was playing his snare set up with the "Hinger Touch Tone" cable snares so of course I had to try them. Ah... young idol worship... but I digress... Anyway,

I think you will find the nylon snares to be "softer" in tone/projection than wire snares... but you just may like 'em! Best thing to do is exactly what you are doing... play 'em!... then decide. You never know!

Tommyp

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks Tommy, you must have read my mind.......as a second option if I don;t gig with it I can always have my ashes put in a canister and placed inside the drum, then put the drum on a bronze mantel!!!!!!!!!!! she is that beautiful!!!!!!!!ExcitedflowerMind Blowi

Lots of Slingerland drums
70's Pearl Fiberglass Ivory
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here