Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Tacked a reso head onto this nice old Carlton tom

I bought this a few weeks ago on eBay - late 30's 14" tom with a tacked on reso head - WMP finish - no badge/i.d plate. Inside the lug casting DALLAS is stamped - faintly. IN ENGLAND is stamped under the lug - again faintly.

The drum was advertised as a Gretsch/Walberg & Auge. I thought I was getting a Gretsch drum but this Carlton is nice too so I'm happy with it.

First two photos are the drum as it arrived.

SHORT VIDEO - Tacked head has dried (tacked yesterday - video today)

[IMG]http://vid194.photobucket.com/albums/z208/kona1084/CARLTON WMP TACKED RESO HEAD TOM/th_1WMPTACKED.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 13 years ago

More pix:

The drum was owned at one time by BunE - Cheap Trick drummer. I thought it might have just been signed by him but I asked him (via a drumforum PM) and he very graciously got back to me with some of the drum history and he did own it at one time.

I made up a jig - a contraption that works for me with this process of 'tacking' a drum head.

Posted on 13 years ago

Gary, very very cool drum ,and even cooler that Bun did own it! thank you for posting how you went about this process!!Yes SirClapping Happy2

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

Awesome "Mad Scientist" stuff there !!

Thanks for posting it...

Kevin
Posted on 13 years ago

thats a good buy,,wanna have one too..hope i can see more photos..

check this: piano lessons

Posted on 13 years ago

Some more photos showing drum after I tacked the new head.

The most difficult process was cutting the excess hide and doing a nice neat straight line in the same location as the old hide. I pretty well did it - you have to look really close to see the minor inperfections (I think there's none haha). One thing I learnt after doing the first one a month or so ago was that you have to let the hide DRY competely before trimming.....if you don't it will shrink back. Sounds like a no-brainer after the fact but I did make that mistake on my first tacking job and it did shrink back a very little in a few spots. Just a good thing to keep in mind if you're thinking of doing this.

Posted on 13 years ago

I commented on your post about identifying this drum. I'm glad I found this post! That is really fine work. Thank you so much for sharing your process.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here