Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Swivomatic Mount Hex Bar Size?

What is the size of the hex bar Rogers used for their mounts?

I've been thinking about just getting one of the short tom mounts and replacing the short bottom bar with a longer piece. $30-ish for the short mount, a piece of longer hex stock and less than 30 minutes of labor would be all it takes.

I just don't understand why the current going prices for a Swivomatic single tom arm are 4 times more than one of the short double tom mounts. The only thing different is the length of the bottom bar.

-Tim

Posted on 11 years ago

From thornbeck

What is the size of the hex bar Rogers used for their mounts?I've been thinking about just getting one of the short tom mounts and replacing the short bottom bar with a longer piece. $30-ish for the short mount, a piece of longer hex stock and less than 30 minutes of labor would be all it takes.I just don't understand why the current going prices for a Swivomatic single tom arm are 4 times more than one of the short double tom mounts. The only thing different is the length of the bottom bar.-Tim

Hear / hear..

I agree...

I have 6 short arms and only (1) long one...

i'ld like another ...buy cant afford $100++

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 11 years ago

It's simply supply and demand: the short arms are plentiful, the long arms are not.

It's not so easy to add a new hex rod to a mount, they are welded on.

Also, the top rod, the 'L' shape, is usually longer on a single arm as well. This allows for much more flexible positioning.

Posted on 11 years ago

From DanC

It's not so easy to add a new hex rod to a mount, they are welded on. Also, the top rod, the 'L' shape, is usually longer on a single arm as well. This allows for much more flexible positioning.

Dan,

So true about the length of the L-arm, but lots of times that extra length isn't needed (see below). I didn't know the hex post was welded into the swivo mount. Do you think it would still be possible to replace a short post mount with a 12" slice of a floor tom leg?

Mike C.

[Attachment: 60951]

1 attachments
-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 11 years ago

Mike C!

Are the drums in the pic yours? I only ask because... the location of the Swivo Collet Plate on those drums was never intended for/as a single tom mount! That's in the double tom position which is why it's got that FUNKY angle to it. Almost impossible to play a single tom from that particular mount with any comfort as the angle will never be right.. but .. guys have done it for years!

Tommyp

Posted on 11 years ago

[Attachment: 60952]Tommy,

Yes, that set is mine, and I intentionally replaced the double tom mount with the single to place the tom above the bass which I've always found more comfortable than off to the left side where the standard Rogers single mounts are located (as on your set). I like the mounted tom just right of center over my snare as opposed to left of center. My mounted tom is directly above where the standard collet would be located, making my preferred position possible only as you see it.

This is my players kit which I gig with; not really a show piece so original catalog configuration isn't that important to me. Also, as I'm sure you can tell, it's a rewrap. Still gets some nice comments though.

Thanks for your interest! And let me know when you're playing anywhere in CT!

Mike C.

1 attachments
-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 11 years ago

From mchair303

[Attachment: 60952]Tommy,Yes, that set is mine, and I intentionally replaced the double tom mount with the single to place the tom above the bass which I've always found more comfortable than off to the left side where the standard Rogers single mounts are located (as on your set). I like the mounted tom just right of center over my snare as opposed to left of center. My mounted tom is directly above where the standard collet would be located, making my preferred position possible only as you see it.This is my players kit which I gig with; not really a show piece so original catalog configuration isn't that important to me. Also, as I'm sure you can tell, it's a rewrap. Still gets some nice comments though.Thanks for your interest! And let me know when you're playing anywhere in CT!Mike C.

Mike C!

Whatever works I say! Did you know that there wasn't just ONE LOCATION for the single tom mount on a Rogers set? I have seen three different factory locations... and there may be more too. With my 1965 Buddy Rich Celebrity's, the rack tom is a 9X13... the bass drum is a 14X24... thus one would HAVE to have the tom mount in the spot on my set to get the 9X13 OFF the bass drum. Again though... completely personal!

Well let's see: I just finished 15 nights in July, and have done 5 in August, with.. ( in no particular order ) .. West Hartford.. Prospect.. Monroe.. Enfield.. Black Point.. Woodbridge.. Southington.. Sturbridge.. Branford, Farmington/Unionville, etc... and on it goes! I wish I had known to let you know! I am scheduled to be in Southbury with the "Sinatra Show" this Thursday.. ( Concerts on the Green ) .. 6-8 .. weather permitting of course. Close to you? THANKS for your interest Mike!

Tommyp

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here