Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Swap Ludwig floor tom bracket wing nuts

Hey guys,

I want to swap the wing nuts of the floor tom brackets with 'more heavy duty' ones.

Brackets are from '76, haven't got it on hand to check the bolt/thread.

Would these fit: http://www.samash.com/gibraltar-sc13p2-8mm-heavy-duty-wing-nut-pack-of-2-gsc13p2xx ?

Or any other recommendations?

thanks

Posted on 6 years ago

I don't think so? those are in MM Ludwig does offer a large wing nut that will work, should be able to find at (drums on sale).

Posted on 6 years ago

Nope. Those won't work. The Ludwig eyebolt threading is 5/16" (USA). The Gibraltar wing nut is 8 mm (Metric).

You can probably re-thread the Ludwig from 5/16" to 8 mm. I'm having the same problem, and I want something more heavy duty than the tiny hardware store wing nuts. The modern Ludwig brackets come with giant T- nuts that hit the sides of the shell when turned and are not user friendly.

5/16" = .3125 inches and 8 mm = .314961 inches, so they are very similar.

Posted on 6 years ago
Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 6 years ago

those are the ones I spoke of, work on my floor tom.

Posted on 6 years ago

Those are the giant T-nuts, Jim!

It's just a really poor design, because they are too large and they hit the shell every time. Not sure why they haven't changed it, or even came up with it in the first place.

I'm going to re-thread 3 Ludwig brackets on a floor tom to 8 mm this weekend. I'll post a pic and we'll see if it works or not.

Posted on 6 years ago

Can you post a picture? I’m just curious to see what you are dealing with.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here