Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Supraphonic

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could offer me some insight on a snare.

I'm trying to determine if it's a ludalloy supraphonic.

It's a 5X14, 10 lug, p85 throw, chrome plated, dated 8/17/1970.

What's got me confused is there is no ludalloy sticker and no anti-galvanic stamp.

The only thing in the snare is the date and stamp that says C8 and what

looks like letter G written. A magnet will not stick to the drum.

It does not have a cut badge.

Can you offer any insight as to what this might be.

Any response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted on 15 years ago

hi.

pictures certainly would help, but i would guess that it's not a brass, but a regular ludalloy shell. the sticker might have gone off at some point, and the stamp might have been washed away, as i goes off quite easily.

also weight might be a hint. brass shells are really heavy, maybe compare it to other drums. another thing, but not quite sure about that. i guess around that time the brass shells had a "br" carved into the shell close to the muffler knob on the outside.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I also understand that ludalloy shells were a bit lighter than brass ones...like MS said....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I don't have any detailed pictures yet.

I will probably have some next week.

Posted on 15 years ago

The 70's COB supras were seamless brass, and were not nearly as heavy as the early 60's versions. They weigh about the same as a Ludalloy drum. The magnet test doesn't apply here, because a magnet won't stick to brass or ludalloy.

I had a '69 Supra with those same two stamps, the G and C8, not sure what they mean, but the drum I had was definitely Ludalloy. If yours is brass it will have a "B" stamp above the dial knob.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here