Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Supraphonic Refurbishing

I got this Supraphonic with my Ludwig Hollywood set in 1971. It was in a club fire in 1980 and I want to do something with it. I would like in Black or Black sparkle type paint to use with my silver sparkle drums and Galaxy Wrap bass drum. What can I do to get the rest of the chrome off of it or any home techniques I could use to prepare the shell for paint. Also what kind of paint would work and look decent. I was admiring that blue Acro on another thread and a lot of the custom things some others have been doing with their Supra's and Acro's. It is a nice sounding snare as it is. Just looks like crap. I think this is a 5.5x14. As you can see the badge paint was burned off so I have to do something with that. You can see the serial number so I was thinking of just shining it up and putting it back on there. Might look interesting on a black shell.

3 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

You should have the chrome stripped off either by you or professionally. The process of plateing that drum is p*ss poor, it should have been Copper then Nickle plated first. But water under the bridge, find a way to spin the drum, I`ve used a small bicycle tire on it`s rim with the axle to spin it with, It was slightly smaller than my snare and I inflated the tire to make it tight. Stuck the axles into holes in a 2x4 ends and hung it between horses, spun it with a motor and the other rim with rope pulled tight. After you figure out how to spin the drum you only have to touch it with sandpaper wrapped around a kitchen sponge and the chrome will be gone in ten minutes with metal paper !i Smooth it further with more grit and your paint job will look very professional. For the lugs, screw them into a small, thin piece of plywood and use a wide stripping wheel on a drill !i Prep is the most important part of painting. Do the hoops by hand with paper on a sponge !i

It`s what I would do without shop conditions !i

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 11 years ago

Some very good tips. Thanks. I do have a electric drill and a palm sander. I actually have a sanding attachment for the drill. Guess I could give it a whirl and see what kind of results I get.

Posted on 11 years ago

Use Aluminum oxide sanpaper, it`s on a cloth type backing !i Don`t use a plam sander or belt sander on the shell. Rig something and spin the shell !i

Do your lugs and hoops while planning for the shell. Those will take up some time !i

Posted on 11 years ago

I was thinking about leaving the lugs and hoops chrome. There not near as bad as the shell. Maybe get some tube lugs in the future but can use the Imperials for now. I don't have a bike rim or anything to spin that shell with. I may have a friend or two close by who has a workshop we can rig up something.

Posted on 11 years ago

Do that because scratches that go every which way show up on a paint job, especially metal !i

Posted on 11 years ago

If you check out the thread about my '79 Supra you can see what a good paint job can do or a pitted drum. After sanding, an etching/building primer was used to even things out, then wet sanded for super smoothness. Then, a sealer was applied, wet sanded, then a high quality automotive base coat-clear coat was sprayed from a professional gun.

I happened to have access to the pro materials and gear, but I'd be willing to bet if one were to get the same sort of material in regards to the etching/building primer which allows the paint to adhere and levels the surface plus doing the wet sanding, you'd have a good foundaton for a nice refinish job.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here