Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Supraphonic chrome care?

I managed to find a 60's Supraphonic with the chrome still in great shape, do I just use Flitz on it to clean and protect it? I don't want it to end up developing corrosion issues during my ownership, any good products to wipe it down with during routine cleanings? to remove fingerprints and such? somebody told me never to wax chrome or it may rust, not sure if that's an urban myth or not?

Posted on 12 years ago

It's just chrome. Any good quality chrome polish works great. I like Mothers. It seems to do the best at cleaning and polishing. Don't use a metal polish, they have a mild abrasive that will scratch (dull) the chrome.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 12 years ago

the best thing i found to deal with chrome, is sealing it.

wax wax wax.

i have built a few custom bikes and the metal under chrome can corrode rust bubble and just look like crap, several coats of wax will seal it up.

pan60.com
Posted on 12 years ago

I just now finished polishing my 70's Ludwig Super Sensitive shell with Mother's Chrome Polish. Just about all good polishes will leave a protective coating on the chrome.

My SS is a mid-to-late 70's with exceptional chrome, with only the very beginnings of some areas of chrome bubbling. No flaking, pitting or anything else. Talk about lucky! Makes me laugh at the two "reliable anti-galvanic" stamps on the inside of the shell. Talk about your oxy-morons!! Still, The shell is in exceptional condition and I just completed disassembled it today to begin a preventive polish on all the chrome. Once complete, pictures will be posted!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here