Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Super-Sensitive with Plating Issues

I have a 1965+/- Super-Sensitive that I purchase a few months ago.

In the process of cleaning it up, I discovered that the plating on the snare-side bearing edge is de-bonding from the aluminum.

I knew there was a fair amount of pitting on the outside of the shell, but this issue on the bearing edge will surely cause problems when a drumhead is tensioned over them.

I've been told that the only solution is to have the shell re-plated.

Has anyone had a similar experience to what I found, and how were you able to overcome this issue?

Posted on 2 years ago

I've restored many 60's supras and supersensitives that had major pitting. Only one was so bad that I had it dipped at a plating shop; did some felt wheel polishing on that one to bring it back to a nice satin raw aluminum finish.

I've never felt the need to address chrome loss on the bearing edge. Frankly I don't think I would be able to discern an audible difference whether treated or not, and the fact that these pitted ludalloys are clearly player drums would lead me to just leave it alone.

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 2 years ago

From Donovan Drums

I have a 1965+/- Super-Sensitive that I purchase a few months ago.In the process of cleaning it up, I discovered that the plating on the snare-side bearing edge is de-bonding from the aluminum.I knew there was a fair amount of pitting on the outside of the shell, but this issue on the bearing edge will surely cause problems when a drumhead is tensioned over them.I've been told that the only solution is to have the shell re-plated. Has anyone had a similar experience to what I found, and how were you able to overcome this issue?

Would probably cost you more than you paid for it.

EPA regs have driven up costs considerably.

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here