Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Super Ludwig Restore

Just finished this one. Addressed the ring separation (Thanks to everyone to helped on that thread). Soaked the rusted hardware in evapo rust which cleaned it up a treat. Hoops and clips were in fairly good shape. Strainer was donated from a guy off another forum (thanks Jim!).

The snare guards and clips seemed beyond salvation so I was going to get them replated but after a 24hr soak and polish with metal polish they came up quite well.

I'm still contemplating getting the shell re-lacquered but for now have just waxed and polished it with good quality furniture wax.

Posted on 10 years ago
Posted on 10 years ago

From supraphonic

I'm still contemplating getting the shell re-lacquered but for now have just waxed and polished it with good quality furniture wax.

If you decide to lacquer, you do not need to remove the old lacquer. You can just spray another coat over the top of the existing. Now that you have waxed it you will have to remove all the wax first (I recommend turpentine for that) and then lightly hand sand with 220 paper (just enough to scuff the old finish). A new top coat will simply melt into the old finish. Make sure you get a nitrocellulose lacquer and not a water based lacquer however. Because the surface is rather small you should be able to do a pro job with a spray can.

Posted on 10 years ago

God, my pics were terrible. Just uploaded a proper pic.

Posted on 10 years ago

From dboomer

If you decide to lacquer, you do not need to remove the old lacquer. You can just spray another coat over the top of the existing. Now that you have waxed it you will have to remove all the wax first (I recommend turpentine for that) and then lightly hand sand with 220 paper (just enough to scuff the old finish). A new top coat will simply melt into the old finish. Make sure you get a nitrocellulose lacquer and not a water based lacquer however. Because the surface is rather small you should be able to do a pro job with a spray can.

Thanks, good to know. I've got the Briwax polish remover so could remove the wax and go the spray can lacquer route. I don't really want to remove the badge though so I need to think about how to tackle that.

Posted on 10 years ago

Yeah ... removing badges is difficult without screwing them up. I redid a Sonor kit and just taped over them with painters masking tape and then cut around them with a sharp X-acto knife. I'm guessing you could also polish the badge up a bit and just coat over it. Worst case here would be that you need to strip the lacquer off (which is pretty easy to do).

As far as stripping the wax off ... take the time to do and extra good job. If you miss any the lacquer won't stick and you'll have to do some finish repair. The good news is that lacquer is very easy to work with.

Posted on 10 years ago

looks pretty nice as is though

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 10 years ago

Agree, looks just fine as is.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here