Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Super Ludwig - 20s or 30s?

Hey! I'm about to buy a Super Ludwig that is from 20-30s. The seller bought it a few years ago. By then it was already renovated with some new parts (4 lugs, 4 claws a few extra screws and also a new top of the strainer. There's also, as you can see, a few extra holes drilled. Probably from another strainer. It's a 14"x5" (or 14"x5,5", I haven't measured). It's pretty complete now, a player's drum. It has no snare guards and is missing the muffler (if it ever had one?). I'm pretty sure it's a two-piece welded Nickel over brass and it says Super Ludwig on the bottom rim. I know there's a lot to read here on the page about these drums and I'm learning a lot. My question is if there's a way of getting to know the more exact year, and approx value of it.

Thanks in advance!

/Robert

Posted on 1 year ago

I'll say this is from the 1920's. The major tell is the lack of an internal dampener which wasn't offered until the 30's. It looks like some of the Tube lugs are chrome instead of nickel. The knurled wheels on either side of the snares are attached backwards....not a big deal, but not the way Ludwig intended. The bottom hoop should have "Ludwig Super" on the same panel as where "Ludwig" is located. Phillips screws??? I can't tell if there are extra holes by the throw or not. If the original tube lugs are not counter sunk, then the drum probably didn't come with snare guards. This 5x14 drum has seen some various owners over its life.

1974-75 Rogers Starlighter IV New England White 13/16/22 (w/Dyna)
1964-67 Rogers Blue Glass Glitter 12/14/16/20
early Oaklawn Camco Blue Moire 12/14/20
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Posted on 1 year ago

Thanks! I'll put the Super Ludwig rim correct. And yes, the person who renovated the drum definitely took what was available, like those philips screws. I intend to replace those since they simply don't look good. ;-)

The other new stuff, chrome lugs etc I can live with.

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here