Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Summer and your Air Conditioning

I know, it's not about drums. But it is, humidity, temperature are contributing factors to vintage drum health.

As a professional for 20 something years, let me give a few bits of wisdom.

#1 Number one, keep your system clean!! A five dollar filter changed every 6 months makes a big difference, trust me. I can't count the number of homes and businesses I've been to that spent more than a couple of hundred dollars for me to clean what could of been stopped by a filter.

#2 If it isn't working like it was, maybe there's something wrong. I guarantee if you continue to run it when it's not performing correctly, you're gonna make it worse.

#3 Be realistic, it's a machine. They break, all machines will eventually.

#4 When it's humid outside, that sucker's gonna run a lot. The unit first has to dispell the humidity, then it can drop the temperature. Out here in California, people freak out when the humidity goes up and there unit runs continuously.

#5 Big one, rule of thumb, above 100 outside, if you're 20 degrees cooler inside, you're doing good, any lower, you're doing real good

#6 Keep it clean and it will save on operating costs, keep you comfortable, and best of all keep the humidity down and keep those drums happy.

Lastly, the best piece of advice. I recommend using a company that pays their employees by the hour, not by the job. Why? Because more times than not, the person that makes money by piecework or commision is going to give you something that you really didn't need.

Have a good summer, I'll be working my butt off for "the man"

Gary

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

I have an old (1922) home with an updated forced air system. I live in trhe Pacific NW, so hard-wired air conditioning is only needed a few weeks every year -thus, not really feasible for me. However, I did buy a "portable" air conditioner by a company called "Cool Breeze". It's about the size of a big conga drum and it exhausts air through a hose that goes out a window and it collects the water it extracts in a plastic bucket-thing. That bucket sometimes fills up TWICE a night and then beeps when the sensor reads that it's full...and wakes me up...Chewie:. Now, I think they have updated them so that you don't have to empty the water. I think the new ones hook to a drainage hose and then the hose goes...???

Anyway, I just thought I would add this information to your thread for all the people in hotter/moister climates because hard-wired air conditioning isn't always available and these portable units are a great option in some applications.

http://www.air-n-water.com/blog/uploaded_images/12000e-714413.jpg

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

HVAC dude baking alive on the roof, fixing those old roof units that always break on the hotest day of the year... you have my deepest sympathy!!

We live in a 20's house with a boiler... no duct work for air conditioning.. yep, little air conditioners hanging out of every window.

Backbeatkeeper.. you have any opinions on the Sanyo split systems.

http://www.sanyohvac.com/multisplit.php

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

Hey Jim, PM sent

Gary

P.S. Thanks for the sympathy, but I prefer a cold beer!!

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here