Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Suggestions on finishing Natural Wood.

I recently received a Leedy Utility snare that had a thin coat of water based paint on top. So I stripped the drum down using Citristrip to get back to the wood finish. Only problem is that it took off some of the original finish as well. So now I want to just get back to the completely bare wood and finish it as close to original as possible. What type of coating should I apply and how should I apply it ?

Picture A=Before Shot

Picture B=After Strip

Picture C-A random internet shot of a similar drum with the finish I am trying to restore this too.

Thanks,

Derek

1954 Gretsch Name Band Outfit White Marine Pearl
1964 Ludwig Downbeat Kit Champagne Sparkle
1964 Ludwig Jazz Combo Kit Gold Sparkle
1964 Gretsch Jazz Progressive Jazz Progressive Kit
1965 Ludwig Club Date Kit BDP
1971 Slingerland 13,16,22 in Black Sparkle
1979 Rogers XP-8 Super Londoner Tobacco Sunburst
1982 Rogers XP-8 Black Londoner
Numerous Snare Drums
Posted on 13 years ago

In my oppinion you need to stain it or dye it first then a clear finish. I recomend taking the shell along with a nice high quality picture of the drum you are trying to match to a experienced paint store like Sherwin Williams. Show them what you have and see what process they recomend. Do not take it to Lowes, Menards or Home Depot go to a real paint store.

Hang around for a bit, somebody has been down this road and will give you better advice.

Thank you,

Jeff

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks Jeff. I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Heading over to the restoration department now !

1954 Gretsch Name Band Outfit White Marine Pearl
1964 Ludwig Downbeat Kit Champagne Sparkle
1964 Ludwig Jazz Combo Kit Gold Sparkle
1964 Gretsch Jazz Progressive Jazz Progressive Kit
1965 Ludwig Club Date Kit BDP
1971 Slingerland 13,16,22 in Black Sparkle
1979 Rogers XP-8 Super Londoner Tobacco Sunburst
1982 Rogers XP-8 Black Londoner
Numerous Snare Drums
Posted on 13 years ago

Great advice. Wood also use a stain sealer to ensure uniform tone. H20 based finish can "check" over time and will look nearly vintage.

Proudly Endorsing Drums and Cymbals

Posted on 13 years ago

From skapunk_edge

I recently received a Leedy Utility snare that had a thin coat of water based paint on top. So I stripped the drum down using Citristrip to get back to the wood finish. Only problem is that it took off some of the original finish as well. So now I want to just get back to the completely bare wood and finish it as close to original as possible. What type of coating should I apply and how should I apply it ?Picture A=Before ShotPicture B=After Strip Picture C-A random internet shot of a similar drum with the finish I am trying to restore this too.Thanks,Derek

I did some wood finishing in the late 50's , 60's and 70's. In 1963, I bought my first drum -----it was a Leedy Ludwig and around 8 x14, although I am not sure because I never measured it. It had the Imperial lugs and was factory painted white-----had lots of checks in the finish. I wish I had it now.

For many many years, the finish of choice for furniture and many other applications was a French Polish. This is a coating of Boiled Linseed Oil ,followed up by handrubbed( or turn applied on a lathe) Shellac. The process creates friction , so that the wood alcohol used to dissolve the shellac evaporates and the finish goes on almost dry. Shellac produces a very glossy finish. That might not be what you want but I would certainly consider using Linseed Oil as a finish followed up after it was dry with a good wax, hand buffed. Alternately, a low sheen spar varnish would work, over the linseed oil and render a very original type finish.I don't know if spar varnish is easily available now but what I am using is Benjamin Moore Impervo and I bought it within the last 10 years.It is perfect for touching up the interiors of varnish ed shells but has a low enough gloss ,that I think it would work on the outside of your drum . I would be very shy of plastic or urethane finishes but they are pretty much the rule of the day now. A lot of the cheap drums of the past were destined for outdoor use and the makers were certainly conscious of the effect of water on the finish. This is why the cheaper lines were natural and the better lines were lacquered or wrapped. The natural finished drums were more weather vulnerable but were cheaper to do. It is almost certain that they used some variant of linseed oil,shellac or varnish as a protectorant----even if the drum was not marketed as a marching drum because the finish selected would cover all the bases.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here