Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Suggestions for my Slingerland kit

Hay guys, first off you have a great web site here! I have found alot of helpfull info here. Thanks, and keep up the good work! I recently got my hands on a early 70s slingerland kit. Its in pretty good shape, it's got a 13" and 14" rack toms, and 16" and 18" floor toms, 24" bass drum. The kit is chrome. I polished it up and it looks good from about 4 or 5 feet. I have always wanted a vintage wmp set, and the seam on the 18" floor tom was lifting, so I decided to see how easy it would be to rewrap the kit. It took about 2.5 hours with me and a buddy to get the wrap off the drum!!!! So, since I have the wrap of one drum should I go for it, or try to rewrap the 18" in chrome. I also noticed some negitive comments on the tape method of rewraping? The kit came with a 60s cob 6.5x14 super sound king 10 lug snare in real nice shape, no pitting cob stick saver rims , very nice. The super sound king is the one that has the dual strainer setup, ( a copy of the ludwig setup?) Does anyone know if this snare has any collector value? It was a pain to find any info on it! It sounds real sweet though. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted on 16 years ago

From what I have read, there is no chrome metal wrap like that available...

So now that the process has started, the switch to WMP is less painless.

That finish is not on the top of the food chain when it comes to resale (chrome wrap that is), so to me if the finish is not what you want and you have the time and money go with the re-wrap..

There are two sides to every story on the best way to re-wrap drums. The experts and vintage collectors would say glue is the best and most accurate way.

In regards to the snare drum the value is between $200 and $400... You can search this forum and look at the Slingerland section for pictures of other similar drums.

David

Posted on 16 years ago

How hard would it be to put the chrome wrap back on it and glue it down? Probably wouldn't take you nearly the 2.5 hours it took to remove it!

I had a similar set in many ways, even down to the SSK snare drum, which I sold for around $850 a few years ago.. Only the floor toms were 16 and 20. I may have sold the drums separate from the snare drum. The chrome wrap isn't as valuable but is more valuable than a re-wrap, I think.. Anyway if you do rewrap WMP would be a good color that being the Buddy Rich color..

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here