Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Suggestions for cleaning up this drum?

Hey All

I just picked up this drum. It is a little rough but I thought it might have hope after it got cleaned up a bit.

According to the fine info over at http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/ this appears to be a 1967 3 ply maple poplar mahogany student model slingerland.

It seems to be just a touch out of round, but I will know better once I get a new head on it.

My 2 questions are 1) what is the best way to clean up rims/tension rods and 2) there is some cracking in the inner ply. It appears to be weather related since it is pretty uniform in spots around the drum. There is not much I can do about this, right?

I will post pics once I get it all prettied up.

Thanks

Matt

Posted on 14 years ago

You might start here...............

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Excellent resource, thanks kevins.

I figured there was one of those around here.

I also noticed after the fact I posted this in the completely wrong category....

Posted on 14 years ago

Student Model and Special Student Model both had single flange hoops and clips, so that's not what you have unless they have been switched for sticksaver hoops.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Well my guess was that it looked like the bottom one from this page.

Those are the sticksavers, aren't they?

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/catalogs/slingerland/1967-68_slingerland_16.jpg

Posted on 14 years ago

Yes they are, and that is a different drum from the Student Model you referenced, it's the Deluxe Student model. Nice drum !!!

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

ha, thanks.

Still trying to get the lingo down. Its only been one day!

Posted on 14 years ago

No worries mate !! Looking forward to some more pics when you get her sorted out !!...........Excited

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here