Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Strange Tension Rods

Fellow Members,

The old Supreme set is finished. It's now all about details. I have a couple of corroded tension rods on my snare. I also have an old Star snare, missing rods but, with mint lugs. Problem is that modern tension rods such as Gibralter are just too big in diameter. The thread is too big.Modern rods fit on the tenor and floor tom but, NOT on the snare. I understand that in the sixties, there were different threads involved ,although they were all metric of course.Would anyone know why this is? Would anyone have such tension rods for sale? Mine are okay but, I was just trying to get details perfect. jonnistix? Mikey? Thanks.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 14 years ago

Brian,

If you can't find the right size thread, you can always buy new inserts for the lugs, then the modern tension rods should work. Gibraltar makes inserts as well. I assume this is why modern rods fit on the toms now. If you are like me and prefer to keep everything original, then you'll have too keep an eye out for the right hardware or old MIJ toms, snares, etc. for cheap and use parts off of these. I've had to do this before. Of course with drums that are tired and ready to be parted out!!

Good luck my friend... I think you are going in the right direction by asking Jonni and Mikey... They should have what you are looking for, or at least know where to locate some.

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 14 years ago

Well...Pearl and Star used different threads as well, in my opine to keep people from doing just this sort of thing, ensuring some parts and warranty detail work to be performed per their specs...I may have the correct ones, but findingh them, since I have a new pile o' parts to dif through...what is the length of the ones you need, from tip to collar? I will dig around and see if I have the right ones.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

I have the thin metric t-rods and nuts that you need.How many do you need? Email is the best way ...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here