Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Strange Sized 60's(?) Pearl

Hey Vintage Drum aficionados,

I bought an old Pearl recently that has strange sizes. I showed it to a few drum guys and they thought this one was an odd one. It looks like a pretty normal 70's gold sparkle 4 piece (14, 13, 16, 20), but when i sized up the skins they weren't quite right. I though this kit was a 14, 13, 16 and 22, but it seems that the bass drum and floor tom are undersize and the snare and rack are oversize. So the bass drum skin was loose on the bearing edge (same with the floor tom), and the skins were too tight on the rack and snare.

What can i do to be able to play this thing?

Cheers guys

Posted on 9 years ago

Welcome to the forum!

Pictures are always helpful to figure out what you've got. That being said, a "normal" 70's Pearl kit would be a 20" or 22" bass drum, with 12", 13" rack toms and a 16" floor tom. Remove the heads and measure the diameter of each shell and let us know what you found. What brand of heads were on the drums? That might also be an issue.

-Mark

Posted on 9 years ago

I had a Bollero (pearl stencil) kit last year with a metric bass drum that was sized at 55 cm or 21 5/8 in imperial. I posted a few times here and at DFO and never really got any hard info on why an MIJ kit would have a metric bass drum. I lost a bid or 2 for a metric Premier head & I ended up raising the lugs by replacing the screw set with longer ones and using washers and a backing plate to get a 22" head on there. It worked fine albeit there was quite a bit of splay. The guy I sold it to is gigging with it is holding up just fine.

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 9 years ago

here are the sizes,

i will post photos tonight.

The kit unfortunately didn't have heads on it. Now when i buy kits i'll either bring a tape meaure or some standard heads.

SN: shell 35.5 hoop 37

RT: shell 33 hoop 34.5

FT: shell 39.7 hoop 41.5

BD: shell 54.5 hoop 56.5

also, thanks funky poodle,

That might work for the floor and bass drum but i dont know what to do with the snare and rack, as they are undersized drums (the skins fit on super tight).

Thanks a bunch.

Posted on 9 years ago

here's some photo's. it took me a while (VDF noob)

cheers guys,

Hudson.

4 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

That kit is (minus wrap colour) the same as the Bollero kit I mentioned earlier. Same Slingy style lugs, tom mount, middle re-ring in kick drum, sticker badge (mine said Bollero, but same idea). Mine only had a metric bass drum though. So there is a pattern emerging and metric MIJs do exist other than the one I owned. hmmmmmmm....

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 9 years ago