Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Strange paint inside my 1965 Jazzfest

A section of the drum has a thicker area of paint applied to it. The paint seems to be an exact match of the original so I am not sure if this was done in the factory and someone got careless, or if it is a modification. What concerns me is that there is little sliver on the interior of the shell, made from a hole from the outside of the shell, that has some of this thicker paint specifically around it. I would venture to guess this is not a coincidence so the drum may have been modified. I have no idea why someone would apply a coat of paint in a certain section but that is what it seems like.

If anyone has seen this paint issue on one of there Ludwig Jazzfest drums can you let me know?

Any info would be appreciated.

The pics show the sliver that has been painted and the section of the drum that has been painted.

In the second pic you can see where a glob of glue has dripped towards the bearing edge on the reso side of the drum. I am guessing the glue is from the re-rings but what is strange is the glue is not painted but laying on top of the paint.

Posted on 14 years ago

Paint on the outside of the washers too. Not too sure, but I think that is not too common. You would think that at the factory, the shells would be dry before mounting the hardware.....seems a bit fishy to me.

BBK

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

Looks fishy to me also.....From the photos the paint looks to be high gloss which is a no no also.The paint should be a semi gloss.....The shell looks like it had a repair as it appears to be very lumpy.........Looks like a cover up job to me............

Posted on 14 years ago

From vinny

Looks fishy to me also.....From the photos the paint looks to be high gloss which is a no no also.The paint should be a semi gloss.....The shell looks like it had a repair as it appears to be very lumpy.........Looks like a cover up job to me............

I agree it does seem like a cover up.

Posted on 14 years ago

you guys may be exactly right. but i have seen some original resacote drums with paint barely on the lug washers....

mike

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here