Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Storing old stands

I have a bunch of very heavy cymbal and tom stands, which I no longer use. I am keeping them stored in an old fibre traps case in a cupboard under the internal stairs of my house. The chrome is pretty bad on some but they are all fully functional top of the line (in their day) Pearl and Yamaha. The cupboard is not damp but one wall adjoins the garage which a pretty cold cement space. Apart from spraying them all with WD40 - which I haven't done because it seems to gunk over time - is there anything I can do to arrest the small amount of rusting? If I must pull them all out and clean them I guess I am prepared to. I was wondering if there is any other spray or method like putting an oiled cloth in the case or something else. Thanks for your time - it's much appreciated.

Home Of The Trout
YouTube Channel
Posted on 17 years ago

I think regular polishing is just about the only thing that really works, which is a pain if you're not using them on a regular basis - and even then I'm finding problems.

Oh yeah - and don't live in a sub-tropical climate.

I'm have a similar situation, though my climate is the exact opposite of yours - but I do drag them out regularly and go over them gently with Silvo. But there is a huge mount of pitting and rust anyway.

Mine are early 80s Pearl for the most part and I just don't think the chrome was made to last. Not an expert on the chroming process but that was a bit of a boom period for equipment so they must have been churning it out as fast as they could make it and we all know what that does to quality control.

Someone else in here might have some better low maintenance tips or more intelligent advice that benefit us all.

Cheers,

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Another good idea is to put some desiccant packs in the case. This is often used in gun storage or in gun safes. It absorbs any moisture. You can get the packs at most gun shops and I am sure there are other places to get them too.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here