Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Storing drums

I picked up a Sonor Champion kit recently, but I have to store it for now. Unfortunately it might have to spend a little bit of time in the garage! It's either that or the attic!!! I live in FL and right now it's still hot and humid. So what I am trying to figure out is the best way to do this.

I am thinking about removing all rims, lugs, metal, etc to minimize any damage there and storing those inside. But for a month or so I might have to keep the shells in the garage. I have hard cases for them, but those won't stop the heat and humidity. Will the heat/humidity damage the shells and wrap? Any suggestions on what else I can do???

Posted on 15 years ago

Not going to screw anything up for 30 days in the garage, I wouldn't do the attic though. Just my opinion. I'm in TX and leave stuff I'm working on in the garage for extended periods with no problem at all.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]30 days is nothing...you just should figure which space has less of a temperature swing, and which is generally cooler. The cases for 30 days should be fine, I wouldn't even worry about removing the hardware unless the space is really damp.

I mean, if you wanna take it up a notch, buy a dehumidifier.....that way you'll know no moisture is gonna mess....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]30 days is nothing...you just should figure which space has less of a temperature swing, and which is generally cooler. The cases for 30 days should be fine, I wouldn't even worry about removing the hardware unless the space is really damp.I mean, if you wanna take it up a notch, buy a dehumidifier.....that way you'll know no moisture is gonna mess....[/COLOR]

Or find some of those silica gel packs that come in shoe boxes, and clothing pockets and throw some of those in the cases. Sounds silly, but I actually keep those things for just such occasions.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 15 years ago

Even a day in humid weather is no good! No way you should put them out there for a month. It's the temperature cycling of day and night that does the damage.

I live in Hawaii and it's been 90/90 for weeks (degrees/humidity), and I've seen what it can do... and fast. Where I live I consider to be Rust Central of the Universe. I should have letters after my name denoting a degree in rust.

I think you're ok with the shells and wrap. Don't leave a pillow in the kick - I did and bugs got at the down in it and made a mess.

I'd take off all the hardware and use car wax (Meguire's Cleaner Wax is my pref) on them and bag them. A ziplocked bagged part with oil on it can't rust.

There's a product called TC-11 which is wax with oil and it's messy but that would keep a bagged part from rusting for a few centuries I think.

I remember Steve Gadd talking about how drums need air con in a Downbeat article, and he was living in NYC at the time.

Posted on 15 years ago

Keep the drums assembled. Having the heads on the shells adds dimensional strength to the drums. Just don't over tension them. Nice, even, low tension is perfect. You can wrap them in a clean blanket and then store them OFF the floor in their cases.

Great idea to use some of those silica packs, as mentioned.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here