Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Stevie Wonder drummer

Hey, does anybody know what drum kit Stevie Wonder's drummer used on Superstition or any of his hits from the early to mid 1970's? I've been looking everywhere and can't find information on this. Thanks for looking and hopefully somebody will know something.

Posted on 17 years ago

Stevie Wonder's drummer on that particular track I am pretty sure was Stevie Wonder himself - I think he played everything on that track (real Wonder fans in here can probably let you know 100% though).

The kit - who knows but I seem to remember a video of it at the time with him on Luddies (this being no guarantee of what was actually used on the recording). The vid is probably on YouTube somewhere (everything else seems to be).

Cheers,

David

Posted on 17 years ago

He did play the drums on that track and I believe the entire album. It has that quality of non-drummer type of beats and fills. Lennon did it, McCartney did it and I remember Richard Manuel played drums on a few Band tracks, and they all sound "different" but interesting.

Posted on 17 years ago

I actually saw him playing the drums on a VH1 Classic albums show where they recreate the recording process for albums that were influential. On the one I saw he was playing the drums on "I Wish" and claimed he might not even have been credited on the liner notes for that. He's not a bad drummer and has a good pocket, but since in the last year I've been playing Superstition, I noticed theres a consistent inconsistency about the playing on that track while I was learning it. I play some of it as true as I can, but theres no following exactly whats done there, I play to how the rest of the band and I have structured the tune to work for us.

Posted on 17 years ago

Stevie was taught by all the Funk Brothers musicians,and drummers Bennie Benjamin, Richard"Pistol"Allen, and Uriel Jones. If you go on You Tube there is a Stevie drum solo on a double bass kit...it's killer...Keep on Pl

Posted on 17 years ago

I just watched that solo last week, it's pretty incredible.

Heres the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SCZv7786KY

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here