Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

steam bent maple shell slightly out of round

Hi guys,my 1st time on the forum, i've recently bought a pearl 50th anniversary snare which looks and sounds amazing, however i made the mistake of measuring the drum for roundness and it seems to be about 1/8 of an inch out of round.Is this normal in this type of drum? can anything be done about it? the drum works great but i like my drums to be perfect, any advice would be much appreciated, thanks Adam The Band

Posted on 13 years ago

It only matters if tuning is difficult.. I've been working on a 60's ludwig shell that was almost scrap. After many hours filling holes, sanding, and doing bearing edges and snare beds by hand, i decided to measure for roundness and it was 1/4 inch out! but when i finally got heads on, it tuned up way easier than I thought it would. So i guess the effects of out-of-roundness should be assessed on a case by case basis

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks for the answer, ive been speaking to Gene Okamota from Pearl, he says because wood is organic shells do tend to "settle" especially steam bent single ply shells, and that 1/8" is well within Pearls tolerance for this type of drum! Mallet Player2

Posted on 13 years ago

It's one steam bend slab of wood. I can't imagine any way it could be perfectly round. 1/8" is nothing. I'd consider it ideal.

Posted on 13 years ago

Thats good to know! thanks band3

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here