Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Star/Tama Transition

Hi folks.

I'm fairly new to here, and to this vintage drum thing, and picked up a couple of drums yesterday that appear to be early Tama with Star hardware.

But anyone I've asked seems to think the interior is like Superstar.

Did they even have Superstar at that stage and if not, any words of wisdom on what I've got as I'd like to find a floor tom to match.

Many thanks in advance.

Tony

South Australia.

Posted on 6 years ago

Tony, check out fellow-member, Ralf's site. Star didn't become Tama until 1974. You'll learn a lot more from Ralf!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks Brian.

I did that, but there's nothing on there about Tama stuff.

Cheers.

Posted on 6 years ago

That is the earliest iteration of the "Tama"brand. A mixture of the new lugs and Star mounts.There are not many of those drums around. Typically the Star drums that came before had Sonor-style teardrop lugs or Slingy clone lugs with that hardware.

Posted on 6 years ago

Star had these lugs as well, they dropped the Slingy and Teardrop lugs with the name change and kept the coffin/Rogers clone lugs. These are indeed Star left overs with the square badge (Perfect Percussion) and Star hardware. I had half a kit with the same badge but not with the birch inner plies but rather the grey painted interior but with the Teardrop lugs and no re-rings, much like the Star Royal series. As far as I can know, these shells were made from Luan but had Birch inner plies, used both in Royal and Imperial series. The Superstar line came much later, around 1976.

You can indeed find a lot of info on Star drums on Ralf's site, and old Tama catalogs from early 70's.

Great find. I'd keep them for sure.

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks heaps for the input, folks?

Does that mean that these may not have had a specific model designation?

Posted on 6 years ago

The official Tama catalog website for '74 calls them "Imperialstar". Royalstars have the teardrop lugs.

Posted on 6 years ago

I thought that too, but wasn't sure about that interior.

Posted on 6 years ago

Great looking set. Show more pics. Plus you need to speak with Ralf he is the guy with all the knowledge on these MIJ's.

Posted on 6 years ago

Star Royal Stars also had that Superstar/Imperial lugs !

Regards

Christian

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here