Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Star/Hoshino/TAMA--Slingerland/CBS Can it be?

Walking I think I just figured out what the whole thing is about. This has been a thorn for us and is driving us mad! You see, at the time of some of these changes, (hardware and apparent "new" player) there seems to be an "exit" from the market, and a lapse from the time Star came to be known as TAMA. And now I am getting a distinct feeling they may have operated under the Hoshino name during the re-alignment just prior to intrducing TAMA as the new kid on the block. So that would make a lot of sense because we are certain there has been some apparent duplication of hardware at times and from an unknown player. Does this begin to sound more like the real deal?

Now I think I am figuring out the way it went down. [COLOR=red]Hoshino[/COLOR] "took over" the manufacturing of the Star line up of stencils as the company prepared to launch [COLOR=purple]TAMA[/COLOR]. This makes much more sense than an actual unknown third player because the [COLOR=purple][COLOR=red]Hoshino[/COLOR] [/COLOR]stuff we associate with Hoshino is typically the later, newer more modern hardware, and the Star stuff as the venerable old lovely Slingerland and Grestch copies. [COLOR=purple]The reason they were able to keep copying Slingerland is because Bud was the only one[/COLOR] [COLOR=purple]too cheap to sue them, and[/COLOR] [COLOR=purple]when CBS bought him out[/COLOR], that is when the lawsuits started and Star could no longer import stuff using the copied hardware, in the [COLOR=purple]early 70s!!![/COLOR] I got it!!! This is it. This is maybe how it went down, [COLOR=red]Star got sued by CBS for trademark infringements[/COLOR], and tanked/bankrupted Star, the company, spinning off Hoshino group, changing the style of the hardware and re-inventing itself to launch TAMA, all the while selling Hoshino to KAWAI in order to finance the new undertaking, and possibly to end the lawsuit. I think that is why Star [COLOR=red]could no longer import kits under the name Star[/COLOR]. And this is also when [COLOR=darkolivegreen]Yamaha[/COLOR] seems to have put the push on their drums,smelling blood in the shark infested waters. Can anyone else take the time to check and see if the lawsuits are time correct for this?

[SIZE=5]I think I just figured it out.[/SIZE]Yes Sir

I believe [COLOR=red]Hoshino[/COLOR] continued to build these stencils into the 80s, until the profitability was just not there anymore. And think they also moved operations off-shore to Tiawan. Can you check into this since I worked my poor little brain into a frenzy the last few months looking for clues?

Blake, does this look right to you? Eric, Ralf, Blake, Wayne...all you guys...does this make sense now? It makes perfect sense to me now. All of it works in my mind now.

Osaka, can you see if the lawsuits came around this timeframe, the early 70s? As we all have concluded in recent months, the ealy 70s seem to be the turning point for Star, around 71-72, around the time CBS bought out Rogers and Slingerland. And can you research Hoshino and find out when they incorporated, or whatever it is they do in Japan? I think I have found the missing piece and solved the puzzle.

[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]Can I have a cookie? That was hard detective work.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

BRAVO.....BRAVO.....BRAVO......BowingBowingMind Blowiflowers2

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

Another factor that insured Tama's success was American protectionism. When import duties were raised, cheaper copies---guitars, drums, etc.---would become more expensive than their relative quality deserved.

Therefore, Japanese companies decided to compete head to head with Western manufacturers by raising quality. Names such as Yamaha, Pearl, Tama, and Ibanez began showing up on stage, TV and recordings pushing market share of US name brands down at a time when US prices were already high and quality was slipping.

Posted on 14 years ago

John, yes, your theory makes sense to me, especially since the drums I have seen that I've suspected to be Hoshino made have lugs very similar to early Tama lugs.

I think this could very well help tell the story of these drums, so go ahead and have that cookie - ask the Webmaster, he can get you one!

Posted on 14 years ago

That may very well be a big part of it. This particular post is more about the mystery of the timeline, and the lost, or anonymous "third" manufacturer. I think that is more what this "eureka" moment was about, but yeah, a lot of guys refuse to accept these facts.

I am of the opinion that labor unions caused/allowed many problems with quality in the 60s, and especially the 70s. I know there will be much arguement, but the truth hurts,and that is all there is to it. Before anyone slams me, I want you all to know, I was a member of not one, but two labor unions. One was UMWA, the other IATSI. The unions allowed many people to get and keep jobs, regardless of whether they were qualified to do the job or not, and whether the work was of acceptable quality or not. I was there, and saw many people abuse the companies that wrote their paychecks and the company has virtually no recourse. It takas too many written warnings and way too long to remove someone from a union protected position for poor quality performance, far longer than it takes to ruin a companies quality and reputation.

This is were many more guys and gals will gripe saying the quality was off because the companies were greedy and forced the workers to push substandard down the line toward the door, taking the position of let the warranty department worry about it, if it ain't a problem then we don't have to fix it. In other words, if the customer doesn't notice it in the first 30-60-90 days, whatever the initial warranty period is, then it ain't a problem and we are no longer liable for it, calling it a "cosmetic warranty"...back to reduced quality and the fact that the bottomline is now important than our reputation. (cosmetic warranties are a very popular thing, allowing companies to use lower quality finishes and finish products, and lower prices marginally, then when someone complains, after the first thiry days, or whatever, and tell them they need to take a look at the "cosmetic warranty provision" contained in the documents explaining how to obtain service)

Anyway, try to understand, the Japanese saw an opportunity to improve while American companies were struggling with a poor economy, and worker apathy abetted by unionization and lax quality control because the company could not enforce their own standards on the union workers because they could file a grievance against management and the union could tell the compnay man to buzz off, he gets what he gets, unless it was something that was actually governed by state or federal regulation. I know this to be the facts as I worked in a uniopn shop that was locked and if the company man told you to do anything and you didn't want to hear it, all you had to do was tell them you are calling the union boss in and they had no choice but to walk away. This is not to say all union workers are/were this way, but a high percentage of people saw as a way to get paid to do half-assed work, and anyone that has really worked in a true closed shop knows this is a true statement.

And for the record, I now live in a state that has no job protection whatsoever, calling it "at will employment", meaning the company can let you go for almost no reason at all, even if you think you have a contract.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
Posted on 14 years ago

Well done, Jonnistix.

Although I feel a little bit like an audience - as good old Europe appeared not to be the key market in the 60s/beginning 70s for Japanese drum manufacturers.

Let me add some information to this all:

First: we are talking about Hoshino Gakki (and not Hoshino Kougyou).

What I found out was the following time schedule:

1908: foundation of the 'Musical Instrument Sales Division of Hoshino Shoten (Hoshino Bookstores)'

1929: foundation of 'Hoshino Gakki Ten, Inc.' (from then on called: 'Hoshino Gakki Co. Ltd.')

approx. 1961: foundation of the company Star

1962: foundation of 'TAMA Seisakusho' (from then on called: 'Hoshino Gakki MFG.Co.Ltd.'), initially manufacturing guitars and amps

approx. 1965: beginning of the OWN (!) production of drums under the brand 'Star'

1966: introduction of the budget section 'Drum Mate'

1972: there are three Star-lines available: 'Swing Star', 'Royal Star' and 'Imperial Star'

1973: last catalogue for 'Drum Mate' drums

1974: beginning of the production under the brand 'TAMA' (starting with the lines: 'Imperialstar', 'Royalstar' and 'Swingstar')

I like to point out that this is my own interpretation, done by collecting materials from different sources together. There still may be mistakes in it.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago

So there is still this third builder, Hoshino(2) that is not in this mix. Can you guys lay out the two and make sense of them, because I am on overload this month. I think what I have figured out here is the basic steps and timing, not really the full line up of players.

Let's face it, until June, I was oblivious to any real differences in any of these old wonderful "toys" that have now become an overpowering obsession for at least 5 people on this forum...

Posted on 14 years ago

Now throw the Camco connection into the mix!!

Gary
1970 WMP Star
1971 Gretsch
1976 Camco
1972 Slingerland
1982 Yamaha 9000 RC
FVF custom kit
AD Drums custom kit
RCI acrylic kit
Arbiter Flats Pro
Ludwig402, Premier2000, Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, Ahead COB,
Posted on 14 years ago

NOOOOO!!!..DONT DO THIS!!!Eye Ball

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

Wayne: you don't like DW's?

- 'cause Camco will lead us automatically to them.

I'll find it very interesting to add this branch to the family tree.

Although I guess I'm not a big help at this point ...

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here