Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Star in a 'Repro 70s' wrap

Hello,

Being a bargain to me, I couldn't resist to buy this 5pc STAR drumkit (the included snare drum is a later Tama 'SwingStar' model from around 1982).

I've seen this wrap before some times in the past, coming up on German ebay. Now I wonder how this finish was exactly called, as I can't find it in any of the wellknown catalogues from Tama.

Does anyone know it's name, as I wonna put it to ebay soon (unless a member here shows serious interest in it)?

FYI, the shells are painted inside with silver sealer. The 'Fre-o-matic' double tom holder dates it to approx. 1972 for me.

Thanks,

Ralf

1 attachments
Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 12 years ago

Hello, my friend!

Man, Ralf, you've done it again! I don't know what the wrap is called but, if shipping weren't so costly, I'd purchase them from you in an instant! The lugs, t-rods and claws are identical to my Supremes and Tempos! Thanks for sharing though. At least I can look.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

Ralf!

That's so sweet, you could put it in your coffee...

Nice kit, no clue as to the wrap name, but it's neat regardless.

fishwaltz
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for your comments so far, my friends.

From what I've seen, this wrap exists in three versions: this one ('prismatic copper'? ;) ), and in prismatic silver (nearly colourless) and prismatic gold (more yellowish). My version - to me - seems to be the most expressive one.

And: these wraps appear to being shipped to Europe only at that time.

Ralf

Posted on 12 years ago

I agree with everyone else...Beautiful kit there Ralf!! I have never seen that wrap before...Thanks for posting it...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 12 years ago

Nice set Ralf,I don't recall the name of that finish.I have years ago seen a Star set with that finish but in Red. Thats out of 1,000's of sets i have seen over the years...Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

I'm happy to state that another member of this great forum has bought it now: so I know it's gone into the right hands!

A 'conspirative' delivery from cargo bay to cargo bay, on the parking ground of a tire trader, somewhere in Southern Germany, at night. Walking

Hope you'll enjoy it, Lissy!

Ralf

Posted on 12 years ago

Always the best way to deal:

Highway bypass at night, two cars stop, people meet and greet each other with handshakes and hugs, packets are changing cars and money changing hands.

More hugs and handshakes, cars take off in opposite directions, eventually disappearing behinds the horizon....

Jon

Posted on 12 years ago

Well I hope you guys were at least wearing trench coats and Ray Bans. :cool:

fishwaltz
Posted on 12 years ago

Hello all,

From fishwaltz

Well I hope you guys were at least wearing trench coats and Ray Bans. :cool:

oops, I knew that we forgot about these important details...:D

And: I´m at least as happy as Ralf that he was so kind and took an extra ride of 150 km so we could meet for the transaction - and meet in person for the first time!

As some other member of this great forum stated in the "General Drum Question" section, it is indeed great to meet other members in person! Unfortunately we both didn´t have too much time to spend together - next time I hope that we have the opportunity for at least one drink and more than just a short talk...:)

Ralf is indeed a very nice person and highly recommendable guy to deal with! Thank you very much, man! Great, great deal.Bowing

Sorry, no pictures yet - since I received the kit, I only had enough time to take it to my rehearsal room and store it safely in boxes. My job has been eating all my time during the past two weeks. But - the last week of February for me is free time with no work to do, so I can clean her, set her up and take a few pics!

More to come...stay tuned!

Greets, Lissy

Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny! FZ
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here