Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

star drums

just trying to speed things up, what will i have to pay for a 60's star kit in good nick, not a lot on offer here in oz (australia) not that i want to drop my pants, but frustrated by the amount of of vendors who wo'nt ship international,insist on local pick up only. i think they are missing the point when there's collectors out there that might be willing to pay that bit extra. now back to my post, star kits, whats a fair price out there?

Posted on 13 years ago

well over the ditch here in New Zealand you'd expect to pay $250 - $500 depending on colour and condition of course. That's NZ$ so about $200 - $400 in Oz$.

I paid NZ$260 for the one pictured that had no snare and 2 13" rack toms, one of which was added later or as a special order as it has a different Star badge but the same wrap. I've yet to refurbish this kit but it's very clean.

1 attachments
Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 13 years ago

Dear Fellow Member,

I know that there will be many on The Forum who will not agree with my response. So be it. We all have different ideas which should be respected by others.

I have a set of early 70's restored Stars of which I am very proud...chrome snare, two 13 inch toms, 20 inch bass, 16 inch floor tom and, a Star cocktail snare which I use as a second tom. I also have the original hardware. Because each drum was originally in such poor shape, they have been re-wrapped in turquoise sparkle, simply because I liked the colour ( many purists will not agree). Many of the drums were originally wrapped in different colours. All were ripped and bubbled.

What I'm saying is this: if you can afford it and, think that these old Stars are worth their weight in gold, then go for it! I have no regrets although my old kit is now worth several hundred dollars. I play them regularly and have been given compliments on them at every gig.

Bottom line: some things in life are hard to attach a monetary value to.

Best of luck in whatever decision you make!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 13 years ago

I have been looking for a star kit for some time and just do'nt see any, would post on this forums wanted to buy but as a collector its seems that some thing turns up locally sooner or later. nice looking kit, where did you get the wrap?

Posted on 13 years ago

Hello, Amigo!

A friend who helps me restore my drums got the wrap from Precision Drums in New York State. I wish I could send pictures but, I'm having trouble with this old computer. Hang in. Something will turn up!

Brian

P.S. Nice talking to a fellow Star appreciator!

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 13 years ago

From alot2008

I have been looking for a star kit for some time and just do'nt see any, would post on this forums wanted to buy but as a collector its seems that some thing turns up locally sooner or later. nice looking kit, where did you get the wrap?

I'll sell you my Majestics. All of the kit, 20-12-12-16 and matching snare, all in blue sparkle. Some fade on the bass, but in clean condition. New heads all around, no cymbal arm, but it is the straight up Slingerland type. This is a great kit in 6 and 9 ply shells, all ready to rock.

Or, look in the "For Sale", I have my early 60's WMP for sale, make a reasonable offer and off they go.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here