Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.05637%

Star Cocktail Drum Rim?

Hi, Guys!

I tried searching but, not much luck. I'm trying to go through my collection and polish everything up. My wife wants me to "organize". Right. I removed the upper rim from my Star cocktail drum and noted that it was a stick saver. Fine.I knew that, of course. It's in mint condition. Hmm...I believe the drum was from the mid-sixties. My question is: was a stick saver rim standard issue from the factory back in the day or did a previous owner install it? Any help would be appreciated. I know that many restorers don't count rims as a "big deal" but, I always strive to get it as close as humanly possible. Thank you very much!!! John? Mikey? Ralf?

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

Hey, Brian. I don't know if the stick saver copy rims were necessarily standard, but they were common on both Star and Pearl drums early on. I also don't know if they were made by both Star and Pearl, or if they both got them from the same source.

Here's the Star catalog shot:

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/japanese_drums/images/drum_parts/1961-star-japanese-snare-drum.jpg

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/japanese_drums/japanese-drums-hardware-identification.htm

Posted on 12 years ago

From salty 1322

Hi, Guys! I tried searching but, not much luck. I'm trying to go through my collection and polish everything up. My wife wants me to "organize". Right. I removed the upper rim from my Star cocktail drum and noted that it was a stick saver. Fine.I knew that, of course. It's in mint condition. Hmm...I believe the drum was from the mid-sixties. My question is: was a stick saver rim standard issue from the factory back in the day or did a previous owner install it? Any help would be appreciated. I know that many restorers don't count rims as a "big deal" but, I always strive to get it as close as humanly possible. Thank you very much!!! John? Mikey? Ralf? Brian

Brian, Its my understanding about these rims.Yes its true that Star and Pearl used the stick saver rims on their drums..The way i tell them apart is the Star rim is a very good copy of the Slingerland made one its rounded over top like you would fine on Slingerland rims but the shape of the ear's{ T-rod holes} are not the same as Slingerland..On the Pearl stick saver rims the top edge is Not rounded over like on the Star rim but the ear's do look like Slingerland rims..The Pearl made copys are alittle taller then the Star rims also the Slingerland made rims..Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

Hi Brian,

It's my understanding, that your rims are genuine. Star used those stick-saver hoops only in the beginning (around 1963) - and then switched over to the 'S-type' (or 'tripple flanged'). I don't believe that someone had changed the rim afterwards - as both types can be considered as being 'stick savers'. But I can't evidence that.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 12 years ago

Thank you very much, cn679, Mikey and, Ralf! From the shape of the rims and ears ( as Mikey noted), I believe the upper rim is an authentic Star. I certainly appreciate your input gentlemen. Now, if you could ony help me organize all this stuff! Man, sometimes women just don't appreciate fine musical instruments!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here