Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Star Bass Rail Mount

Dear Members (especially, jonnistix The King),

My early 70's Star kit is nearly finished and in fine playing condition. Thnks for the help, everyone!

When I first bought the kit however, I noticed that a patch of the original wrap was worn away where the clamp on the bass drum to which the tom is mounted had rubbed against the wrap. There was not enough clearance. This type of clamp can be seen on the posts Looking for Royal Star parts by bbluigi, 04-12-2009 and Black Jack Kits by Old School 01-30-2010. The clamp was an excellent idea in that the entire mount did not have to be removed to get it off but, as I say, no clearance was provided. If the clamp became loose, the wrap was damaged. The gentleman who re-wrapped my drums (he is an avid collector) happened to have what looks like an identical set-up but with no "easy off" clamp...just a one piece circular piece which fits over the rail. No scraping or ruined wrap!!! Here is my question. Did Star make such a one-piece contraption or is it possibly a Slingerland or other type? I know my drums were original with no added pieces.

Thank you very much.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 13 years ago

Hi Brain,

Not sure what you really mean ... - Can you make a pic, please?

If you need a complete rail consolette like the one in my attachment, I'd have one for you. PM me then.

Ralf

1 attachments
Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 13 years ago

Yes, they did make one piece wrap around arms. The clamp on style was not the best idea because they bent very easily and worked loose, as you have witnessed, damaged the shell. The part that seems to have been the culprit is the bottom "tab" the fits into the "slot", it was easily bent, causing slippage. This longer rail was normally used for "two up" configs, in my experience.

1 attachments
"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

Here is a pic of my Star tom mount

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Hi, Ralf, Hawghunter and, jonnistix.

Thank you very much for your input! I really appreciate your sharing of knowledge and willingness to help a member out.You guys are the best!

As usual jonnistix nailed my question right on ( he knows that I can't send pics with this piece of junk computer). My rail in now quick- release free. It is also reassuring to know that I'm not tampering with the original integrity of the kit too much.

I don't know how you do it, John! Your body of knowledge is amazing! Thank you very much, sir.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here